Remove/blank off soil pipe boss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I need to remove or block off the upper of the 2 bosses that feed into the soil pipe. There's not enough room to cut a section out and replace using a slip ring which seems to be a common method, so wondering if anyone has any alternative suggestions?

Thanks

Neil

IMG_1223.jpeg

IMG_1222.jpeg

Sponsored Links
this will do...

this will do...
Thanks. Looked perfect so I went and bought one, but when I tried to fit it it appears that the pipe outside diameter is 43mm rather than the expected 41mm for push-fit. The fittings appear to be marked OSMA 841 1 1/2 - any idea if a similar item exists for these fittings?

IMG_1229.jpeg

Same OD size as solvent weld by the sounds of it then. I'd try one of these. Take all the pipe out apart from the elbow that's in the stack, turn it 90deg until it's vertical, cut and pop in a little bit of the straight then put one of these on it.

Sponsored Links
Hi all

I need to remove or block off the upper of the 2 bosses that feed into the soil pipe. There's not enough room to cut a section out and replace using a slip ring which seems to be a common method, so wondering if anyone has any alternative suggestions?

Thanks

Neil

View attachment 315171

View attachment 315172

One of these straight into the boss socket (43mm od) ...

I would ensure you have a leak tight joint before putting any flooring back, problem you have there is, the seal in the boss will have hardened over time, and whilst its not an issue at present, removing the old pipe and fitting new may cause it to leak. If needs be, some silicone round the plug before pushing it home, and I'd put a cable tie (or 3) around the whole lot to secure it onto the boss.

I would ensure you have a leak tight joint before putting any flooring back, problem you have there is, the seal in the boss will have hardened over time, and whilst its not an issue at present, removing the old pipe and fitting new may cause it to leak. If needs be, some silicone round the plug before pushing it home, and I'd put a cable tie (or 3) around the whole lot to secure it onto the boss.

Another job for CT1 xx

Not seen that before. Interesting stuff!
Very similar to wet grab/sticks likesh*t/OB1. Silicone polymer adhesive that sets to a very strong/firm rubber. I use it to bed trays down onto plinths and the wall to tray seal, works extremely well, much firmer than sealant but still flexible enough.

Tis very handy stuff, just wear nitrile gloves and try not to get it onto the skin as it's a real bugger to get off. I've seen me use it to seal old copper waste pipe into cast when the original seal has gone, works extremely well, even when wet.

Thanks all. Ended up getting one of these, which is pretty much the same as the one suggested by others above

IMG_1230.jpeg

IMG_1231.jpeg

As I don't want it to ever come open I solvent-welded the lid on

End result looks like this

IMG_1235.jpeg

The elbow can't come out of the boss without being cut because it hits the lower copper pipe, and the zip tie will stop the new plug from coming loose in the other end of the elbow. Will monitor for leaks before replacing the floor (at the rate at which I get jobs done this will give several months of monitoring time...). The elbow is just a little bit above horizontal so nothing should accumulate in there, but looking in there it was pretty clean/dry anyway so I think that the downward flow from above mostly misses it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back