Remove dimmer component on floor lamp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a floor lamp which uses a KFT6022 transformer+dimmer switch and has 6 10W G4 halogen bulbs. Because the halogens would get really warm and I tend to keep that lamp on all the time, I thought switching to LED bulbs would be a good idea.

However, I didn't anticipate the flicker problem and I now understand that dimmers and LEDs are a difficult match. I have found a level on the dimmer which produces the least flicker, but have noticed I get a headache when I am in that room...so there must still be a slight high frequency flicker.

SO, to wrap this up, would it be possible to somehow get rid of the dimmer function on the switch so that the transformer gives a constant output and no flickering LEDs?

Sponsored Links
LEDs are 2W...although their boxes don't say whether or not they're dimmable. (I didn't specify when buying since I didn't realise there is a difference!)

I'll look into your link, thanks.

Your other issue may be that the transformer is not suitable for the much lower current drawn by the LEDs. The spec for that transformer says Power: 20 - 60 Watt
http://www.et48.com/en/kaoyi-kft-6022-foot-dimmer-with-transformer-12-vol.html

The halogens are a total load of 60watts and the LEDs will be only 12watts.
You may need to change the existing transformer for a compatible LED driver.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back