Remove of chimney stack

Why would I need scaffold if the stack has been removed below roof level and the roof made good?
Because if the stack is removed below the roof line then the stack above the roof line is no longer supported rom underneath.

So the scaffolding will be needed for safe access to the stack to ensure that either 1/ it is securely attached to the wall and the wall is strong enough to support it or 2/ the now un-stable stack above the roof can be removed before it falls
Have you read the thread? the stack has been removed under roof level already.

Read the thread its pretty self-explanatory.

Sponsored Links
Don't let it worry you sjchapman; a lot of these replies are done late at night, so sometime get skimmed through, and just the later posts replied to. All done with good intentions though.

Have you read the thread? the stack has been removed under roof level already.
Then I hope the stack above the roof, if still there, is properly supported.

How long ago was the stack below roof level removed and what was done to support what was left.

a lot of these replies are done late at night
It was late at night that the fire brigade were called to a house where the un-supported chimney stack had crashed through the roof.

For the last time IT HAS BEEN REMOVED UNDER ROOF LEVEL
IMG_4741.JPG

Sponsored Links
Maybe you've taken the weight off the lower chimney breast by removing the upper bit but
why not remove the stub in the loft and the chimney breast below?
Use a hammer and cold chisel in the loft. Knock a brick one way and then the other and then prise it up with the chisel. Do one brick at a time.
You dont need a power tool.
Stuff something down the flue to stop debris dropping.

Anyway, cut a long story short he said get it down above roof level to about 600mm in rood level.

Which I did, then the removal (hammer and chisel) started to cause a bit of stress on the bedroom ceiling so they stopped at 800mm.

The reason I post this is even after 6 years since this was done (and no signs of stress/cracks etc I'm still uneasy about the section in the loft above my daughters bedroom)

In answer to you original question, I very much doubt that is going anywhere, if breaking it up started to disturb the ceiling I would guess it's pretty solid

So I popped into the old lady's gaff next door to have a look at her chimney stack (house originally identical to mine) and in her kitchen it is as it was built in 1966.

The base of the stack is tied into two walls at 90 degrees, hers starts about 4 feet from ground level as there originally was some type of boiler under it ....

So the stack which is probably 18" square never went down to floor level, so it must have been sort of self-supporting being tied into 2 walls at a right angle? ..

All you know is that the neighbour's chimney breast is abutting two walls in the kitchen. You dont know if it's tied in, much as you dont know if your bedroom chimney breast is supported in the floor or tied-in to the wall.
Neither do you know whether the old lady's chimney breast went down to the kitchen floor or not. Hearsay from two elderly people might not be accurate.
What about the floor(s) above the neighbour's kitchen and in the loft? Have those chimney breasts been removed or are they still in position?

All you know is that the neighbour's chimney breast is abutting two walls in the kitchen. You dont know if it's tied in, much as you dont know if your bedroom chimney breast is supported in the floor or tied-in to the wall.
Neither do you know whether the old lady's chimney breast went down to the kitchen floor or not. Hearsay from two elderly people might not be accurate.
What about the floor(s) above the neighbour's kitchen and in the loft? Have those chimney breasts been removed or are they still in position?

I've checked with other neighbours who have lived in the houses since the were built in '66 and none of the chimney breasts go down to floor level.

As I said, they were originally used as to vent some sort of boiler or heater or something (I don't know exactly as they have all been removed with new methods after this date.

But they all stop about 4 for from the floor, seem to be tied into the walls at 90 degrees and all run up through a bedroom into the loft and out of the roof.

The Breast/ stack is about 14" square.

I am going to leave mine in the bedroom as (as two surveyors an architect and a very reputable builder that done my extension said) there is no visible signs of any stress or defect, but I am (going to get someone) to remove the remaining section of stack in the loft. Probably by using an angle grinder as much as poss so as to not cause any more cracks to the plasterboard ceiling in the bedroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back