remove old Gripfill from back of skirting boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have just taken skirting boards off in order to have laminate fitted. They came off easy as they haven't been on long. they were fixed with a nail gun and Gripfill.
I was told I need to take the old Gripfill off the back before they can be re-fitted.
I'm really struggling with this even after buying some new sharp chisels.

I've tried applying some No Nonsense sealant remover from Screwfix. That softens it a little bit and it is slightly easier but it is still taking forever.
Is it essential to take the old Gripfill off?
Has anybody found an easier method of doing this?
I've attached a picture

thanks in advance for any advice

Attachments

• skirtingGripfill.jpg
    skirtingGripfill.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 850
Sponsored Links
I guess you have to persevere with the chiselling mate.....that gripfill looks like the solvent type too so it'll be stubborn.
However, it's on the unseen side so a few gouges with the chisel won't matter. It's best to get most of the stuff off so the board sits tight to the wall when it's refitted.
Sealant remover is really designed to work on silicone, but it will melt the gripfill surface to some degree.
You could of course fit new skirtings!
John :)

I always managed using a 2" wallpaper scraper and getting a low angle and going at it hard. Only takes a couple of minutes.

Sponsored Links
When I had to remove some a while ago, I bought a cheap wide bladed chisel from toolstation and with a few blows it came off easily.

In the past I always used a chisel but now use a scraper or old cutting blade on a multi-tool

thanks for replies folks. Very helpful.
I thought about the cheap multi tool but the nearest Wickes is quite a distance. The sealant remover was a bad idea, it made the gripfill really sticky.
A scraper wouldn't touch it. I got it all off with a chisel and hammer in the end but it took me a full day and I took a few chunks of wood out of the back of the skirting. Sometimes it came off easy but in other places it just wouldn't budge. I suppose I need to practice my chiseling. I imagine a skilled fitter would have it off in no time.

If I'd known it would take me that long I would've bought new skirting as I wasn't keen on the style anyhow and I've manage to damage it a bit on the front too, Doh!
For a bit extra you can buy fully finished skirting so no need to paint

For a bit extra you can buy fully finished skirting so no need to paint
Yeah but you still have to caulk it and any joins still need painting - your best bet in future from my experience is probably get the pre-primed stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back