New floor, new skirting, new gaps...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How would members go about 'fixing' something like this, the gap along the bottom between this brand new skirting and brand new flooring?

skirt1.jpg

In other places, where the floor had massive undulations, I scribed bits out of the bottom of the skirting. The results are... well, they're kinda OK - not brilliant. But where the gap wasn't actually that bad, I just got it down there.

I'm now wondering if I should stuff some acrylic sealant in there... and run along it with a Fugi... I don't want to get loads of sticky gloop all over the new floor if I can help it though.

I would say it looks worse in the picture than it does in real life, I deliberately picked that angle. :LOL:

I would be happy to hear recommendations on what I can do - as long as that recommendation is to take it back up (I've put Gripfill on the back and used nails too!!!) it ain't going anywhere.

Sponsored Links
Sealant would work, but will sink inwards a bit as it drys. A two part wood filler will fill the gaps, but need sanding just before it goes hard, otherwise it get rock solid. Try using it first in an unobtrusive place first.

What flooring is it? If wood / laminate then you can't let any filler touch the floor as the floor needs to expand.

Sponsored Links
You'll find that tricky. Dazlight was right, laminate needs to expand, but you've got the try and match the skirting board heights, so you need to decide which skirting board you're going to tackle. LH one to raise it up, put a piece of paper down to allow the laminate to slide, and then use filler or likewise; or you'd going to do the RH one, and scribe it, and take it down to the match the LH piece.

Therein lies the competence (and experience) of a good builder, getting round the problems that an old house besets you. I assume that the only straight piece isn't either of the one's that you've got to tackle

Just ignore it. You cannot adequatley fix this even if you are a perfectionist. So, hide it with a pot plant!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back