Remove Rad Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All
Tonight i need to remove my rad for the hallway to be replastered.
When i turn the TRV all the way down the rad still gets warm so its not going off fully.
i have removed it and tried to fix but it seems to be off as much as it will go.
if i turn both ends off and drain the rad out is there a fitting that can go on the try valve that will allow me to cap it off until the new one is fitted in a weeks time?
Im thinking of an end screw on cap but cannot think what it is called to search for it
thanks all

Sponsored Links
Do you not have the decorators cap for the TRV? its a plastic cap that replaces the TRV head which should close the valve fully.
Also there are brands of TRV that allow a plastic pin to be inserted up under the TRV head to preventing them from closing fully, just check yours hasn't got one of these.
Depending on the size of your rad valve you will need either a 3/4" blanking nut and washer or a 15mm compression stop end, but using only the male (threaded) part of the fitting.
Be aware that if the system is under pressure and the valve isn't closed properly you may get wet when removing the rad. ;)

I would replace the TRV then you know its closed properly then add a blanking off cap.

Then when the room gets to temp the TRV will close as its ment to then shut off the heat to the room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back