1. We are pleased to announce the 'Home Automation' forum. Click here to get involved!

Removing a chimney

Discussion in 'Building' started by Vinnykaka, 22 Nov 2010.

1. Vinnykaka

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi there,

I have been asked by a friend if i know how to remove the chimney breast from his bedroom as he requires more wardrobe space.
    I have not done this type of work before but asking a few people they tell me its a bit messy.
    I know that i will need to support the ceiling but not quite sure where to start. If anyone can give me pointers/advice on where to start, that would be great.

property in question is a 3 bed semi. the room that i will be working on is upstairs back bedroom if thats any help.

Regards
    Vinny

2. chappers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    This work is notifiable and the BCO will want structural engineers calcs and suitably designed support for any stack left.
    By just taking down the breast you could be compromising the strength of both yours and your neighbours properties.
    As to where to start, start by getting a SE in to have a look

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Vinnykaka

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the advice. I have been researching a bit more and this is a much more involved project than i thought. I will be advising my friend to get in touch with building control who will correctly advise him.

We will see what happens then & i'll keep you posted!!!