Removing a Load Bearing Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do I need structural engineer calcs for this? Builder I know reckons I don't, as he can get a lintel that's guaranteed up to a certain weight?

I thought I'd need building regs, and as a result structural calcs?

Cheers

Dave

Sponsored Links
Depends on size of opening and if the builder is willing to take responsibility on the lintel design (manufacturer wont)

WaveyDave said:
Do I need structural engineer calcs for this? Builder I know reckons I don't, as he can get a lintel that's guaranteed up to a certain weight?

I thought I'd need building regs, and as a result structural calcs?

Cheers

Dave

an experienced builder will usually know if a steel section is capable of handling certain loads or spans, but is unlikely to be able to prove it with calculations.

i have built many extensions using r.s.j. type 'u' beams and i am familiar with size requirements for certain spans. but i would always advise the use of a structural engineer in this case. these things tend to rear their ugly head when you come to sell.

so, to prevent any problems in the future, when it comes to selling your property, get a s.e. to do the calc's and get building control round to inspect. ;)

Thanks for the advice, I've arranged for a SE to visit the property and do the necessary.

Guy is charging me £200+VAT inc drawings etc, so seems reasonable.

Sponsored Links
I am assured by building control that this is not usually necessary unless you removing >3m of load bearing wall.

I had 2.5m wide of load bearing wall removed in 2005 and the Birmingham building contol required SE calculations to prove the size of the UB and insisted on padstones to support the UB at each end.

Cheers

The building inspector visits the house on monday, so I will see what he says! Initial post was based on a chat over the phone.

Hopefully no engineer is needed for my 2.4m section... I'm haemorraging cash!

an architect i trust and use regularly tells me any openings above 1.8m require calcs.

Did one last year in Ilford, Essex and openings up to 3m could be confirmed on site between builder and BCO, well in Essex anyway, dont know about any wheres else like....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back