removing a thermocouple from a fuelsaver - diy or not??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

just moved into a house that had a full test of the heating system in nov 06, all was fine, some egit let the pilot go out and now the thermocouple is goosed, british gas came out on my service contract and had to cancel contract as they cant get the parts, recommended i get a local plumber to clean the pilot to get it to relight - cue local plumber - not the pilot its the thermocouple and he cant get the part. ive now found a firm who say if i get the thermocouple out and let them look at it they'll match it, it has an interuptor so a universal one wont work,

my question is (after that bit of rambling) - is removing the thermocouple a job i can safely do myself or should i get someone in to do it???

i have a strong grasp of diy, and basic plumbing knowledge, but with a 2 yr old and a preggers wife i dont want to do anything that might be dangerous.

all help appreciated

boiler is a radiation (bought out by glowworm) fuelsaver 15RS (old and inefficient but see "just moved house" for reason not to change just yet)

thanks

Sponsored Links
Universal thermocouple with interupter should fit it. Are you sure it not the overheat stat gone. push the green button in. If you do get one don`t pay someone to fit it get BG out under your contract also BG should have these.. Only problem with feulsaver 15`s is to take case off most people used a screw driver to pop it of and BG condem them because case seal has damage. And its not that inefficient so don`t let anyone kid you

thanks for the quick replies,

as per usual for BG they cant get an original as even glowworm say they are now obsolete, and as such wont touch, didnt mention universal ones, ive worked that out myself via the web.
watching two engineers try to remove and refit the case has been mighty amusing, cracking design idea, neither has mentioned seal quality though- is this a part that can be replaced??? - for my own sanity and safety more than anything else.

would you recommend shutting the gas off completely or just the valves that feed the appliance???, i ask as my hot water is via a separate boiler and with a child in the house cant really do without for too long if it takes a while to get the bit

lastly for now - is their anywhere online i can get a schematic/diagram of the bolier to work from so i shut off everything i need to and disconnect/reconnect everything properly??

Sponsored Links
BG Use universal thermocouples 90 percent of time as they are far cheaper .No need to turn off gas. Case takes ten seconds to remove and put back so Don`t know what they are doing. Of to golf course so sorry it`s short an sweet

Its a bit late now that BG have cancelled the Contract.

What I advise customers to do is find the part at parts Center or T&T and get an independent engineer to fit it and then ask BG to pay that bill because they advised you the part was not available.

Thats not possible for you if they have cancelled the contract. They presumably tried to sell you a new BG boiler?

Tony

PS For some reason I had in the back of my mind that radiation was an old Ideal Boilers name at an address of Radiation house? Of course Fuelsaver is now a Glowworm name.

And thats where your limited knowledge kicks in Agile it all depends on how long contract has be in exsistance .It may have been carried on from an existing one, it may be a new one that has had it`s first service etc etc.. Also they maybe in shi#e with trading standards for lying that parts not avialable when it is possibly an actual van stock part

TS arent interested matey, believe me I have had loads of chats with em about BG and they suddenly become wooly and evasive, they like tearing apart little sole traders they do

BG say that the part is not availible but what they mean is that they WILL NOT source thepart anymore, which they are perfectly entitled to do

also be very very careful before you have a pop at agile, you better be dam sure you are right cos he will bury you.

there are four people on this here I will not contradict unless I am totally sure they are Agile, Kevplumb, chrisR and our lovely cuddly softus ;)

If the part is avialable they must source it no two ways about it.. And universal interupter thermocouples are van stock parts ,Agile has not got a clue how BG works he ha sa reasonible guess sometimes but is well of the mark usually. Bg are scared of trading standards and regularly have briefing on how not to fall foul of them an alter policy accordingly . As for being right about being how well BG work before having a pop at Agile don`t make me laugh after having well over twenty years in company as engineer doing TU job ,filling in for management and being involved in countless national projects on policy etc . I have forgot more than he will everknow.. I take it you also believe Agiles imaginary chemical effects etc. Wake up he is full of SH#TE.

Tell you what corgiman do a wee search on topics me an Agile have disagreed on a see who buries who

corgiman said:
also be very very careful before you have a pop at agile, you better be dam sure you are right cos he will bury you.

you have to be joking!!!!!....but no really...you are joking right?

Nope I am not

give it a go and I will enjoy the sport :)

just noticed that you have been posting on this here wonderful website since Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:11 pm

if you claim victories over agile in this short space of time then you have not even getting up to his ankles.

anyhow I know you are good, blimey charlie even I have learnt some stuff off of you but leave agile alone and stop biting his ankles, I have been doing this shyte for twenty five odd years and have yet to meet some one as knowledgable as tony, I have meet a lot that arent well lets say as abrasive as the dear boy, but have only seen a few with the technical knowledge that he has.

Years ago I thought I was jack the biscuit until the like of tony et al showed me that while I was good there is always something that you can learn

great old game we are in aint it, as NO ONE knows it all :)

anyway you do what you must I am going to stop lest I become know as a Agile appreciattion society :):):):):)

Jesus just in after clubbing it for 6 hours an even i realise you are talking pile of shi#e. He has over 8000 posts and you are lucky if ten percent offer genuine advice the rest either slag poster or copy in different words what someone else has put. If Agile is amongst best you have met you must have some serious dumplings in your area or are very easily impressed,,

Just out of interest looking back Agile has been on several times tonight why is he not putting his own defence forward instead of leaving it to the likes of you

preaps he dont feel the need

and we are all entitled to our opinions I think he is a good man

you two dont

fair enough

WOW clubbing I remember them days back when the DJ used to play "come on eileen" and baggy trousers

sheesh I am getting to old ;)

Trouble is i remember those records too ,must start to try acting my age.:cool: ..

Only problem i have with Agile is he needs to remember this is a diy site and to stop being holier than thou and just speak about what he knows

I did say that he has a some what abrasive manner but he is good non the less

any way your right why am I commenting he is old enough to look after himself

and about those records least we aint saying "i remeber pulling on me flairs, combing me side burns and strutting me funky stuff to slade"

I am defo not THAT old

Hums "comeon feel the noise" and falls off his platforms ripping his oxford bags

LMAO

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back