removing a thermocouple from a fuelsaver - diy or not??

Now that was school disco days slade, sweet etc and gary glitter was famous for being a singer as opposed to a minger.

Hope this hangover goes i have to be in pub again for 2. :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
corgiman said:
Nope I am not

give it a go and I will enjoy the sport :)

just noticed that you have been posting on this here wonderful website since Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:11 pm

if you claim victories over agile in this short space of time then you have not even getting up to his ankles.

anyhow I know you are good, blimey charlie even I have learnt some stuff off of you but leave agile alone and stop biting his ankles, I have been doing this shyte for twenty five odd years and have yet to meet some one as knowledgable as tony, I have meet a lot that arent well lets say as abrasive as the dear boy, but have only seen a few with the technical knowledge that he has.

Years ago I thought I was jack the biscuit until the like of tony et al showed me that while I was good there is always something that you can learn

great old game we are in aint it, as NO ONE knows it all :)

anyway you do what you must I am going to stop lest I become know as a Agile appreciattion society :):):):):)

im talking less about tony's technical ability and rather more about his uncanny ability to type waaaaayyy before he thinks.

Ok. British Gas Are Able to Say they cant get the part for you anymore, if (IF) they cant get it from paricular sources. If they have it in stocks, can get it off the national parts center, manufacturers or selected sources.

If howevere you find it on ebay or from a little parts place or somewhere they wont accept then they can quite happily say no they wont fit it, as they cant trust its from a reliable source. It might sound silly, but a company that size sometimes has to take extreme/silly measures to cover there arse.

As for the spacesaver, i cant picture the thermocouple on it, but they do have universal ones with interupters dunno how theyd fit.

technically no you shouldnt be playing with it, but in realitly, if you know what yor doing, then your not really doing much by removing it, as long as you make sure someone qualified puts it back in and reinstates the boiler.

Good luck mate

out of that lot i think i have a plan of action, but i now have another dilemma - which engineer is right???

the contract is carried over from my previous house, i only moved in here on the 30th March, it was on the first visit that they assess the boiler and stated that the part needed to repair it was unavailable, luckily because we have a separate boiler for the HW the contract isnt cancelled, i just cant have cover for the CH boiler - he reckoned it was the pilot, and suggested i got a local engineer to remove it and clean it and put back as they couldnt do it, the local engineer said within 5 mins that it was in fact the thermocouple.

using your vast combined knowledges who would you say is right????

you can see a spark through the peep hole thingy but no flame at all, the gas is reaching the pilot as the BG engineer undid the nut closest to it a touch and you could hear/smell it, and anything that could be reset was.

so hit me with the knowledge - which bit do i need to be fixing??????

thanks

ps. if you all say the pilot then is it a part i can replace cos this is the bit BG said they cant get

Sponsored Links
007mcfod said:
you can see a spark through the peep hole thingy but no flame at all, the gas is reaching the pilot as the BG engineer undid the nut closest to it a touch and you could hear/smell it, and anything that could be reset was.

You do seem to be having a lot of problem finding a competent and honest engineer!

If there is a spark but the flame does not light then the problem is a blocked pilot jet !!! Thats very basic !!!

If the problem was the thermocouple then the pilot would light but go off when you release the gas valve knob !!!

This is so really basic !

Tony

I have just fixed my Radiation Fuel Saver 15 RS gas boiler when the Pilot light went out.

I bought a new thermocouple ( Interrupter type ). A universal one for £11.75 at the local builder centre.

Its very easy to fit really after a little courage and undoing a few screws in the boiler box.

When I came to restart the pilot I found it didn't work first time round so I gently tapped the casing where the thermocouple screws into which contains the pilot safety cut off valve and BINGO the Pilot stayed on !

Maybe try tapping lightly the pilot safety cut off valve casing first then fitting a new Thermocouple second ! :D

I have just fixed my Radiation Fuel Saver 15 RS gas boiler when the Pilot light went out.

I bought a new thermocouple ( Interrupter type ). A universal one for £11.75 at the local builder centre.

Its very easy to fit really after a little courage and undoing a few screws in the boiler box.

When I came to restart the pilot I found it didn't work first time round so I gently tapped the casing where the thermocouple screws into which contains the pilot safety cut off valve and BINGO the Pilot stayed on !

Maybe try tapping lightly the pilot safety cut off valve casing first then fitting a new Thermocouple second ! :D

dont go there

I am defo not THAT old

Hums "comeon feel the noise" and falls off his platforms ripping his oxford bags
LMAO

Its amusing reading some of these old postings from a year ago!

Like that bit above! I am not quite sure what "Oxford bags" are, but surely flares went with platform heels. Also flowery pink shirts with long droopy collars!

It reminds me of being in a pub with my friend's Malaysian wife and my very short lodger. After a few drinks the Malaysian looks down on the short lodger and says "you ought to wear platform shoes".

He looked a bit sorry and said that he already was and lifted his flares to show them! ( Well they probably were not flares but they were trousers anyway ).

Tony

Must get my eyes tested for a minute there i thought Agile was saying he had a short todger. :LOL:

Must get my eyes tested for a minute there i thought Agile was saying he had a short todger. :LOL:

Do you really imagine I would be saying that?

Firstly "Oxford bags" were a type of trouser that My elder sister and her beaus used to wear

huge fugly things they were as I remember

Tony I get LOADS of emails that could help out with your problem do you need me to forward them to you.

A short todger is nowt to be ashamed of matey, although I have no idea how it must feel like being "blessed" i do Sympathize (i know thats spelt wrong but I am best parts to the wind and dont care)

:)

Firstly "Oxford bags" were a type of trouser that My elder sister and her beaus used to wear

:)

I always think its better for the man to wear the trousers!

I seem to have bought the last two Dickies trousers in the End of CORGI sale. As soon as I opened the package, one pair was "appropriated" !

Tony

On the trouser topic, Agile with only a small todger i guess the tailor would not be asking if you dress to the left or the right. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back