Removing bedroom light pull advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, looking for some advise -

I am currently renovating an Edwardian terrace and want to remove a bedroom light pull that has been installed in addition to the switch at some point.

I have done some reading and have a fair idea of how I’m supposed to do it. I have removed the pull and pulled the wires through to the loft. My plan is to then join them in a Wago box. Only thing is I have a wire with 4 cores and a wire with 3 cores.

Can anyone advise which should join with which?

Any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• A96F1C8E-DEAE-454E-89A1-0B177829F57F.png
    A96F1C8E-DEAE-454E-89A1-0B177829F57F.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 71
Sponsored Links
The only colour which has only one use is green/yellow, which is only used for an earth.

It seems likely the pull cord is part of a two way wiring system. But to remove you need to work out what each wire does.

I have a problem I would expect not counting earths either a three core on it's own, or a three and two core, your picture shows a three core and single core, so it would need some testing and further investigation.

To be sure we are giving the correct info, can you send a picture or confirm exactly what is at the wall switch?

(Might save time in the long-run.)

I would expect not counting earths either a three core on it's own, or a three and two core, your picture shows a three core and single core, so it would need some testing and further investigation.
Not counting earths, there is a three-core and a two-core.

Sponsored Links
It looks to me like a two-way system wrongly wired.

Is the reason you want to remove the switch because the system doesn't work properly?

The only colour which has only one use is green/yellow, which is only used for an earth.

It seems likely the pull cord is part of a two way wiring system. But to remove you need to work out what each wire does.

I have a problem I would expect not counting earths either a three core on it's own, or a three and two core, your picture shows a three core and single core, so it would need some testing and further investigation.
Should’ve gone to Specsavers

It looks to me like a two-way system wrongly wired.

Is the reason you want to remove the switch because the system doesn't work properly?
That would work - if at the other switch there is a brown in common, and grey and black in L1 and L2.

It's the old fashioned method, where you use a connector block or porcelain dog cock it's really old.

Can anyone advise which should join with which?
Two green/yellow together
Two brown together
Blue with brown sleeve to black with brown sleeve
Grey with brown sleeve in it's own terminal not connected to anything else

An alternative is to remove the 3 core & earth completely at the other switch, and connect the 2 core & earth directly to the other switch.

Thanks so much for your help so far guys.

To confirm, the black, grey, brown, earth comes from the switch and the blue, brown earth goes from the pull cord to the light rose.

Attachments

• EAC93E65-6A0C-41CF-97EA-A4EB0E12DB34.jpeg
    EAC93E65-6A0C-41CF-97EA-A4EB0E12DB34.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 8554935E-E3FD-4E4D-94A6-8E72DDC6450A.jpeg
    8554935E-E3FD-4E4D-94A6-8E72DDC6450A.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 38

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back