removing cast iron pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to remove a cast iron soil pipe. I have dug the ground to where itmeets the clay pipe, which is wider in diameter and seems to have some sort of cement around it.

Sponsored Links
b21playa said:
al-yeti said:

need to move WC and best way is to get rid of old cast iron pipe

Having a laugh right.

Just cut the pipe and re-position a new branch.

You damage the underground Clay pipe and you'll be digging all the way back to the chamber :eek:

Sponsored Links
doitall said:
b21playa said:
al-yeti said:

need to move WC and best way is to get rid of old cast iron pipe

Having a laugh right.

Just cut the pipe and re-position a new branch.

You damage the underground Clay pipe and you'll be digging all the way back to the chamber :eek:

I was advised last time on here to remove it all

what about if i cut the cast iron underground just before the clay with a grinder and use a fernco coupler (the one with jubilee clips) to attach the bit of CI to new plastic?

It wouldn't be my advise to remove it all.

For starters what does building control say about it, external castiron pipes and fittings are a requirement on some properties and Councils.

Back to the problem Yes a Fernco coupling would be better than damaging the undergroud drain

doitall said:
It wouldn't be my advise to remove it all.

For starters what does building control say about it, external castiron pipes and fittings are a requirement on some properties and Councils.

Back to the problem Yes a Fernco coupling would be better than damaging the undergroud drain

wil the coupling be fine underground, set in concrete?

If its below ground buy an Timesaver cast iron to plastic adaptor socket

Well I'd expext to remove it all! The cement that's used shouldn't be very strong. Over the years the pipe will have moved and cracked it. All I've seen have been very obviously loose enough to wiggle the pipe up and out.

ChrisR said:
Well I'd expext to remove it all! The cement that's used shouldn't be very strong. Over the years the pipe will have moved and cracked it. All I've seen have been very obviously loose enough to wiggle the pipe up and out.

thats what i was told before

ChrisR said:

If they used the right stuff Chris its like neat cement and as hard as a rock.

I would defy anyone to get it out without breaking the collar.

Just type Timesaver castiron pipe into Google

Hi.

Just like the OP I too have recently been advised to replace the soil stack. Mine is internal cast iron but is accessible behind panelling inside the house.

Reason given was because its hard to cut cast iron stack below floor board level to fit new bath waste (current waste not enough fall).

I asked about cast iron to plastic couplings / adapters and was told they no good.

Can anyone link to any suitable products?

When I did it I left the last section of cast pipe & used a alla Wickes plastic to cast jointer fingumi....

1. Because it was a nice & easy solution ;)

2. To guard against errant wheel barrows full O' gawd knows what poleaxing it & having poo cascading all over the gaff...... Which ya all will agree Aint't Pretty :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back