Removing damaged radiator vent plug ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone help with advice on how to remove a damaged brass vent plug from a single panel radiator.

My fault - I got the old one out - half inch - with a radiator plug remover tool - put the new brass one in with PTFE tape but did it up too tight - and it leaked.

In trying to remove it one side of the new plug broke off so the square socket where the tool fits is no longer square - safe to say I feel a right idiot !

Is there any way I can remove it ?

Sponsored Links
You could try a screw extractor bit, ( they have a reverse thread that bites into to head) but you will prob need to drill it using a fine metal drill bit, keep going up in bit sizes until you are nearly at thread thickness (dont go too far and damage the thread!, thèn you should be able to easily remove the final remnents with a small screwdriver etc

Just buy a new radiator. A new radiator will work better.
Radiators are cheap not worth messing with an old one.

this is one I had to deal with,

dont know what had been used as sealent but it left some of the thread behind, and needed retaping

Sponsored Links
Just buy a new radiator. A new radiator will work better.
Radiators are cheap not worth messing with an old one.

Well - yes I agree but where do I get a radiator the same size ?

It's 2m 8cm long and 58cm high and fits perfectly in a restricted space under a window.

It's also quite thin and fits neatly with the window board - it's original - the house is about 40 years old.

I've looked on the web and can't find anything same length which is the critical bit.

Thanks very much for the responses so far think my favourite option so far is to try to drill (carefully) the plug out unless of course anyone has any other idea's or where to get a same size radiator ?

Many thanks.

I would try the screw extractor method first.

If as is possible it does not work then I would carefully use a hacksaw blade to cut the plug until the steel rad threads just start to be visible.

Then I would do the same from the opposite side. Then I would hope that the plug could be collapsed inwards towards the axis and then removed.

Tony

Thanks guys,

Plan A is underway to pick up a pack of Extractor Screws tomorrow.

Plan B (if A doesn't work) is a mix of - drill out to weaken and reduce the plugs diameter then a junior hack saw to saw through to the rads threads then hopefully lever out what's left of the plug.

Will post the results - - - whatever they are !

Drilled out the centre of the brass plug then tried an Extractor Screw and it didn't work.

Drilled a bit more tried a size larger and still it didn't shift - - my suspicion is the the brass of the plug being softer was being forced against the steel of the rad - therefore wouldn't shift.

So plan B - larger size drill to take some more out of the plug then C used a hacksaw to make two cuts about 5mm apart across the remaining brass then a small sharp screwdriver to prise the 5mm band of brass out of the hole.

That left the plug with a bit missing - so used a drift to close up the gap a little to take the pressure off the threads then used a screwdriver to tap the remaining plug round to unwind it from the hole - - result.

Thanks again for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back