Removing iron soil pipe section

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Could anyone advise me if it is safe to remove the bottom section of a cast iron soil pipe and then put it back and reseal?

I've read that when removing the whole thing you start at the top, but I just want to take the bottom bit out, fit a marley soil to drain adaptor (to repair where the pipe connects to a clay collar at ground level), then put the pipe back.

Am I right in saying that I need to hacksaw the bolts from the wall, remove joining material and twist the pipe out?

Sponsored Links
if it is properly clipped you can remove any length from the stack, but you wont do it by removing the joint snd twisting the pipe, best to use an angle grinder to cut above and below where you want the new branch and fit a timesaver (or similar, 2 part bolted coupling with internal sealing washer) between the cast and the new plastic

Probably be caulked with Lead as well so mind the mask. In really older properties am sure the old timers used to put horse hair type stuff or even asbestos to stop the lead from running through when pouring , Can remember "just " Using an asbestos rope at the top when pouring Lead , O happy days climbing up a ladder with a ladel of molten Lead.

Thanks. I was initially planning on removing the entire bottom section then trying to put it back along with the new adaptor. In other words, not cutting anything, just removing then replacing.

View media item 7269
I've gotten rid of the cement around the area and cleared away the debris from the collar etc since this photo.

I've realised now it'll be easier to *just* cut a length (about a foot) off the bottom, replace with timesaver, plastic pipe then the adaptor. It won't look great but that's not important.

Sponsored Links
I've realised now it'll be easier to *just* cut a length (about a foot) off the bottom, replace with timesaver, plastic pipe then the adaptor. It won't look great but that's not important.
beware that some of the adaptors have a restriction from cast to clay. In other words if you were to look down the cast pipe you would see it narrowing down before it goes to the clay. In my mind that is bad as its potential source of future blockages if someone drops a big number 2 down with lots of loo paper. I don't like the rubber connectors either :cry:
What is the internal diameter of the clay pipe?

Thanks htgeng.

The cast seems to be 105mm ED and 101mm ID.

I see what you're saying about the reduction. I did wonder if the 110mm soil to drain adaptor would cause blockages. Not sure of any straight forward alternative though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back