Removing old kitchen sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, hoping you can help. I have searched, but no other post seems to cover this question.

I'm fitting new kitchen units and am trying to work out how best to prepare for the installation of a new sink and taps (by a plumber) and base unit. (I'm about to start dismantling the old units so that the electrician can do the first fix for the electrics. I'm then installing the units and the plumber and electrican are installing the appliances etc).

Am I correct in assuming that I need to undo the plumbing for the old sink (which sits on the worktop) so that I can remove the worktop and the base unit and eventually fit the new base unit (that I am building myself because it has to be an odd shape). Or can the sink remain plumbed in, while I work around it? Could it and the taps just be supported with props of wood?

If I do have to remove the sink, I obviously have to turn the water off first but will the water to the flat have to be turned off until the new sink is fitted? This may be several days later ... And if I do need to remove the sink, then do I need any special tools to undo the plumbing? Is it simply a question of unscrewing the trap etc? One post I read, mentioned fitting special valves to allow the water to be turned back on - are these easy to fit?

Thanks for all and any advice. :confused:

Sponsored Links
I'd get round (or at least phone) the plumber & Sparkie to see whats best for them before you do anything.

Hope this helps :)

Co.

Installing a new kitchen sink is an easy, one-day project that can do wonders for the look of your kitchen. As an added benefit, you can increase your sink's utility by installing a unit more suited for your needs. You could, for example, replace a single bowl unit with a double bowl unit. Or, you could install a modern decorator sink. In any case, the time when you replace your sink is also a good time to consider replacing your faucet and installing a garbage disposer unit, since these projects go hand in hand.

Does your faucet look like a holdover from a short-lived style popular a couple of decades ago? If so, you can update it yourself with a basin wrench and a few other common tools. Replacing a faucet is not difficult and should usually take no more than about an hour. Replacing a kitchen faucet is very similar to replacing a lavatory faucet,
Don’t forget shut off the water or you can turn off main water valve tape measure.
You will need of some material before installing sink :
pencil
straight edge
drill with spade bit
jigsaw
adjustable wrench
plumbers putty
sink
strainer assembly, faucet, and accessories of choice
disposal (if it comes with sink)
mounting clips
silicone caulk

thanks for both replies. I have spoken to plumber and electrician and coordinated better - the other half has insisted that the plumber caps the sink so all I now have to do is install the units ; )

thanks again

Sponsored Links
Get isolating valves fitted, not caps. Make life a lot easier!

thanks ChrisR - would isolating valves help in the future as well or just while the kitchen is being refitted? thanks again

Fitting an isolation valve on the pipework leading to each tap will make life easier for you (or your plumber) both during kitchen construction, and in the future.
You will be able to service the taps, and if necessary remove or replace them, without shutting off the water to the whole house.
They only cost a pound or two each.

Thanks Mark - that's very helpful - I will ask the plumber to do just that!

The first step in removing the old sink was to turn off the water at the shut off valves located below.
Then used a large pot to gather any water remaining in the lines as they were cut off.
Then loosen the nut right on the valve with adaptable wrench and then cut off the drain line.
All this is just a start for removing the sink. But it is advisable that you call a professional plumber. A professional plumber can be quite handy in removing old sink with new one

Fitting a new kitchen sink is an easy job. In one-day project wonders can be done with the look of your kitchen. You can increase your sink's function by fitting a unit more suited for your needs. For example, replace a single bowl unit with a double bowl unit. By increasing the features of sink will be handier for making the kitchen attractive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back