Removing old olives

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace the tap T section from the cold water pipe under the sink. I can remove the T section but not the locking nuts because the olives block them. The olives are stuck fast ... is there a way to remove them? There is not a lot of pipe to play with so cutting them out is not really an option.

Paul

Sponsored Links
The only way to remove them is to cut them - if you can't get a hacksaw in there then you can buy an olive cutter.

You could leave the olives and backnuts in place and use them to reconnect with what ever new fitting you are intending to use.

Just out of interest what's the reason for removing the existing pipework?

Another way to remove them is to use an olive puller. This won't work though if the nuts were overtightened so the pipe was necked.

The T section was very old and when I tried connecting the replacement filler hose (the blue one) the section spun around on the pipe. I bought a new T section and because it's more modern, it's slightly smaller than the old one, which means the pipes don't fit snugly. I could replace the top pipe to the tap too but that would mean even more work.

Paul

Sponsored Links
oilman is right pg - if you can't push the nuts back or if there is a neck in the pipe then you have a dilemma.

Perhaps the best way ahead for you is to cut back to clean pipework around the tee, and replace it. You should be able to work wonders with a metre or so of plastic pipe and some push on fittings.

One word of warning with making pushfit onto cut copper - be very careful to remove all burrs. If you don't have the purpose made tools, then a few light touches with a file will remove them.

Also worth mentioning that the difference in size of the old versus new may not be beyond the play in the feed pipe. i.e. switch off water supply, undo all three compression nuts wrythe out old part, see if new one fits.

So anyway I replaced the top pipe section and also put in a new tap connector ... works great. The only problem is when I fixed the tap connector in place , and don't you just know how arkward that can be, I leant on the U-bend a little. Now when I empty the sink it leaks, more money and time wastage :confused: So anyway,time for a cuppa and then once more unto the fray me friends.

Paul

Sounds about right.

How's the neck and the upper back where the shelf dug into it?

It didn't go back that far. It must've been there for about 30 years and had no thread on that bit. the Nut clamped down onto a plastic sealing washer. I guess its time was up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back