Removing Olives

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to change some 22mm compression fittings … is there an easy way of removing the old Olives off the pipe stub …. Would prefer to fit new ones, rather than reuse olive (and nut)

My usual approach is to have a set of gas pliers loosely around pipe up against Olive, and tap pliers with hammer to get Olive off.

I have seen some guy use gas pliers direct on olive … and really mess it up.

Any tips ?

Sponsored Links
Get an olive extractor yes, a bit expensive for a one-of job but life's too short to worry about botch-ups

Olive puller? (at a cost) but your method seems an easy way although I would try and cut the olive with a junior hacksaw as far as possible without touching the pipe

Junior hacksaw. If you can't get all the way through then make a groove and stick a flat blade screwdriver in and give it a twist, it should snap in half

Sponsored Links
If you are doing a few of them, I'd bite the bullet and buy the tool. Saves worrying/struggling with a hacksaw and you may need it again in the future.

Is this tool for pulling Olives off stub end of pipe .....? if so I assume it screws into the fitting 'nut' and act as a puler - pulling nut forward and dragging Olive with it. i.e. doesn't touch Olive directly.

It's probably not going to be needed for another few years (must be 10 yrs ago I last wanted to do this)
Junior hacksaw idea along with my gas pliers approach should suffice - thanks.

I wouldn't go anywhere near it with a hacksaw. Even the slightest nick will ensure that your new joint will leak. The only cure then is to cut the pipe right back and insert a piece. Mind you might find that the old olive has crushed the pipe anyway and a cut back back and will be needed.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Dickie Dyer olive cutters unlike most works on all size tube 15mm upwards.
Got one when I had a couple of days changing rad valves very quick to use zero damage to pipe.

Last edited:
More expensive than the puller and other threads have reported problems with it leaving marks on the tubing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back