removing outside light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have recently removed an outside light from our porch which has a switch inside the porch and is connected to the main inside light in the porch. There was a red wire connected to the switch but the black wire came from the inside light and straight to the outside light so i have cut the black wire and attached it to the switch to the ouside light and removed all the wire that went to the outside light. so now i basicaly have a indoor light and a switch which is not connected to anything. when i turn on the indoor light now it trips the lights out in the house do i have to connect the red and black wire together inside the switch now that there is nothing connected to it[/list]

Sponsored Links
I'm not an electrician but it sounds like the black wire is neutral hence the tripping when you connect it to live via the switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back