Removing pendant for downlights.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing 4 12v downlights in the spare bedroom, dont flame me i need flush lights as I am making the bedroom into a cinema room.

There are two cables at the pendant, sure this heads off to the bathroom. Is it ok to remove this block from the pendant (it clips off) and wire the downlights off the two connections the pendant is currently running off? (thinking this is no different from getting a separate chocblock?

Thanks
Pody

Sponsored Links
No.

If you are going to loose that into the ceiling (and there is no access above), you will need to use a maintenance free JB similar to this:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ804.html?source=adwords&kw=&gclid=COKbnJXyybcCFYjLtAodtygA-g
ASJ804.JPG

You cannot use the strip from that pendent because:
1: It will no longer be enclosed.
2: you can not loose screw terminals above a ceiling.
3: Those terminals will fall to bits once removed from the pendent.

Even if your new downlights do not require an earth, make sure you connect the earths anyway - Most downlights will have provision for terminating the earth.

One of your existing cables will be the supply from a previous light fitting, and one will be the switch drop. It is not clear which is which - One of those blacks will be live coming back from the switch. You could hope it is the one with the brown flex, but that's not guaranteed - You should test to which it is, and then sleeve or tape it with a small piece of brown or red tape/sleeve.

nope, you have a standard, loop-in lighting circuit. Connect the two reds together in a connector block, then connect your downlights to the two blacks (the one next to the brown needs a bit of sleeving as this is switched live)

Enclose all your connections in a junction box and job done

Thanks, I will see what boxes screwfix has.

I have another question regarding my transformers, they have a cable hardwired for power in. Whats the best way to connect this to my 1.5mm twin/earth? (I will keep the earth continuality.)

Sponsored Links
again, a MF junction box.

I always try and get transformers without hardwired leads where possible as it just makes for one less connection and everything is much tidier

I am installing 4 12v downlights in the spare bedroom, dont flame me i need flush lights as I am making the bedroom into a cinema room.
So fit proper flush, or recessed lights, not torches.

Your neighbours are going to love you...

What flush lighting can you get thats not a type of downlight? (flush= nothing below the ceiling line - 3-4mm allowed for metal surround)

Why will be neighbours love me? I have walls made of brick between me and then, this and curtains over the windows usually block out lights. Wont bulbs that can been seen (not hidden above ceiling) be worse anyway??

Sorry - it's the audio aspect of a home cinema I was referring to, not the lighting.

There is often a bedroom on the other side of the wall.

Ahh, sorry, bedrooms at the far away end of a end of terrace.

Walls look to be pritty good, hardly hear the kids through the other side.

I'll have to learn to keep it down, last house was a detached, not one complaint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back