Removing Ram on Riello Burner

• Thread starter eddiescully
  • Start date
E

eddiescully

Im trying to remove the ram on my riello burner because it leaking oil. I have the ram removed from mobile damper on fan housing but im now trying to disconnect the ram from the fuel supply line but im worryed about damageing the oil supply line when removing, so my question is does the ram just simply screw off the supply line or does that cap on top of the ram screw off. i put a pump pliers round the cap on top of the ram and tryed twisting but im afraid of dogging it and damageing the line :oops: , any tips on removing please :idea:

Sponsored Links
Should unscrew from the top of the ram are you replacing the Ram with a new one? we usually don't bother cos they leak again after very little time, you can do away with the ran especially on R40 burners, if its an older Mectron then you have to lock the air damper in position, easy to do by removing the Brass bush that makes up the fulcrum, Riello sell a plug to blank off the oil pump port, (if you have to relace the pump in the future, you will find that the replacement pump does not have a port for the ram anyway!! my advice take the ram out and pluf it off (superflous part) ;)

whats the "ram" and what does it do or supposed to do :?:
Ram (Hydraulic jack) opens and closes mobile air damper, opens when burner is on for air intake, closes between burner cycles and when burner is off to prevent a draught going down through the boiler and then out the fan thus resulting in getting an oil smell in your house. WELL THATS THE IDEA. oh and riello also say it reduces heat loss through the boiler

Sponsored Links
Hi boilerman2 yea i was going to replace the ram. Why do you think the ram is just a usless piece of engineering? Why can you not get a replacement riello pump with a port for the ram anymore? i see the newer riello burners have the ram port and supply line at the back of the pump under the oil supply line to the nozzle but my riello burner is old and the ram connects to front of the pump at the side so will the blanks fit that port aswell??? So if ram leaks best just completely take out and blank off port at oil pump? sorry bout all the questions i just taught it was necessary piece of kit on the burner

The new pumps do have a port for the ram you need to undo a nut to access it and "tease" the ram pipe into position.
I usually replace the seals on the short rams which only cost a couple of pounds just to keep the burner as the designer intended. See plenty that have had the ram removed and they run quite happily (which backs up boilerman2's working practice - the potential is there for it to leak again leading to a callout which is why many guys remove it).
Blanking plugs will fit both old and new pumps as the fitting is the same size.

The new pumps do have a port for the ram you need to undo a nut to access it and "tease" the ram pipe into position.
I usually replace the seals on the short rams which only cost a couple of pounds just to keep the burner as the designer intended. See plenty that have had the ram removed and they run quite happily (which backs up boilerman2's working practice - the potential is there for it to leak again leading to a callout which is why many guys remove it).
Blanking plugs will fit both old and new pumps as the fitting is the same size.
sound advice thanks :D

Sure why bother put the ram on the burner in the first place if thats the case, to just remove it .why didnt riello think of that in the first place can anyone answer please? :confused:

Sure why bother put the ram on the burner in the first place if thats the case,
One can only presume to solve a problem they thought might exist.

The ram opened the air supply port to burner thereby preventing outside air from entering a property via the flue when the burner was off.

Riello modified the ram, may be because of problems, but then never fitted it to later burners although of same basic design. Cannot think of anybody else that fits them.

So maybe the question is why did they stop fitting them and because they were not fitted to later burners, of same design, is perhaps the reason that most engineers remove them and fix the air shutter in the correct position.

The ram is probably the most problamatic part of these burners and whilst they may have been fitted to prevent oily smells entering property, via the flue and combustion chamber, when they start to leak, and they all do they can be the very CAUSE of the very oily smell they were intended to avoid!

I presume you cant get the pumps with the ram port on the front of the oil pumps anymore tho if i was ever to replace oil pump?, only get the pumps with the ports at the back is it. best take yer advice and get a blanking screw and do away with it altogether

Rams fitted to burners firing Class D fuel (35sec Gas Oil) NEVER Leak
However using class C.2 fuel (28sec Kerosine) they leak frequently

Riello are designed and built in Italiano. the only contry that uses Class C.2. fuel for heating is the UK & Ireland, the rest of the world use Class D Gas Oil.

There for in UK & Ireland Ram seals fail more often than anywhere else on earth!!

Thats why I Plug n throw 'em!! ;)

And the pumps fail more often too for the very same reason.

...you will find that the replacement pump does not have a port for the ram anyway!! ;)

Err yes it does...

Not in the original place I grant you, but remove the 15mm headed plug on the opposite side to the pressure adjustment and it will reveal a small threaded port that the pressure line to the ram fits into. You will have to reshape the line ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back