Removing sides of stairs. Unknown support?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I would like to remove the sides of my stairs, so that i can shove my computer under there. My problem is I don't know if the 3x3 in the corner is helping supporting the stairs. Not completely sure of the terminology, but is the ringer attached to the newel, and newel is attached to landing beam. Don't see any brackets or anything though. Please see images attached. I welcome any advise.

Regards

John

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 344
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 332
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 289
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 312
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 312
Sponsored Links
The stairs will be self-supporting - you can take the wood panelling out. Think of your stairs as a ladder propped up between the downstairs and upstairs floors.

(BTW, the bits at the sides are strings).

Thanks Tony.
I also think the stairs are self-supporting, but wanted a bit of reassurance before I take the sides and 3x3 off. I don't like the fact I cannot see that the string is attached to the beam. Can you have a good look at my photos and explain it to me?

Sorry to be a pain, just that it's an old house that has been bodged in alot of areas.

I have just done this in my house. Same setup as yours and my stairs are still standing after taking it all down.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,
I went to attack it, but after removing the sides, i got scared to remove the 3x3. Do you still think from the new images that the stairs will be ok without it?

John

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 291
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 311
The strings of the stairs will be supported against the floor trimmer (beam) at the top, so they are not suddenly going to fall
when you take the post out.
As before, think of your stairs as a wooden ladder. A ladder justs rests against the wall at the top - it isn't supported by a
prop against the wall as well.
That 3x3 will have been put in after the stairs were fitted, and is just to form a corner for the boarding and door.
It appears to be cut on an angle at the top. That is probably just to fit under the string. If the post was structural, it would have been
cut square at the top, and the string would have been cut level to fit on top of the post. But they would never have supported stairs like that anyway!
Stop dithering and get the damn thing out!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back