Removing Sludge in Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I effective remove sludge from radiators without a power flush? Power flushes are expensive so could i remove the sludge by taking off the radiator and the put a hose pipe through it flush out the sludge?

Sponsored Links
yes

after hosing out the rads to remove the loosest stuff, add some Sentinel X400 and run the system for 4 weeks or so to loosen what remains (turn the pump up) before draining and flushing. If you can afford £100 fit a Magnaclean as well, I guarantee you will be amazed and delighted at how much black sludge it traps.

If you have any total blockages, the water flow and chemicals wil not be able to penetrate them, though.

You can do that but risk dropping black sludge on the cream carpets!

We charge £350 for powerflushing. You could take off each rad in turn and wash them through.

That does not deal with dirt in the pipes though.

Tony

You can do that but risk dropping black sludge on the cream carpets!

We charge £350 for powerflushing. You could take off each rad in turn and wash them through.

That does not deal with dirt in the pipes though.

Tony

That's £350 for any setup and however many rads is it?

Sponsored Links
X400 and a Magnaclean is probably better long term value than a power flush, however the cause of the system decay should be addressed.

Tim

PS. I am a paid up member of the Association of Registered Gas Installers unlike Tony, who is not. ;)

JohnD, How do I put Sentinel X400 inside the system, do just pour it inside the rads and screw them back on, will that do?

have you got a sealed system (with a pressure gauge on the boiler) or an open vented system (with a feed & expansion tank in the loft)?

I'm assuming I have a closed system as the combi boiler has a pressure gauge on the front.

then you have to pour or squirt it into a radiator or a pipe.

As it sounds like you will be draining down, you could probably pour it through a funnel into a pipe when you have an upstairs rad off. This is easier than trying to squirt or pour it through a vent.

It will get mixed up and circulated round when you refill and run the pump. You can circulate it for up to 4 weeks before draining and flushing out the stuff it has loosened.

You can add the inhibitor in the same way when refilling.

If you can afford £100 for a Magnaclean as well, you will be amazed and delighted to see how much black sludge it collects, even after you have cleaned and flushed the system, and it continues trapping it indefinitely.

john i thought you would be advertising the new magnaclean by now.

http://www.adeysolutions.co.uk/TwinTech.asp
36_1_11.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back