Removing the permenantly on radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On my (pressurised) CH system, I currently have one radiator that cannot be turned off. All the others have TRVs on them. The chap that fitted it said it had to be like that so that the pump would never be trying to pump a closed system.
However, soon I will be removing that radiator when I'm extending the kitchen.
I realise that I have to have a path so is there a shunt or bypass that I can get to go in place of that rad ?
I understand that normally the bathroom rad would be permenantly on, but the new bathroom has a towel rail and of the valves I fitted, neither are lockshields (the downside of letting SWMBO choose flashy chrome head jobbies) so I cannot guarantee someone will not turn them off.

Sponsored Links
the rad with no TRV is usually the one in the same room as the room thermostat if that helps

not really, when he fitted it he bypassed the room stat (which was on the middle landing - no rad there).

I would ask him, but I'd need a oija board..

Sponsored Links
He said something about it not being used anymore, when the heating is on it's just on and the TRVs control temperature.
It all worked ok after he did it.

oh dear

he shouldnt have done that, and because he has you MUST have that bypass rad

oh dear

Oh balls.

So, back to the original question, can I fit a shunt or somesuch in place of the rad ?

Will you be putting a radiator in the (extended) kitchen?

If yes, all you need is a temporary fix. Put one of the TRVs on full blast, and tell everyone in the house not to turn it down! Put a sign on it or something if you need to. Then, when you put a rad in the new kitchen, put a lockshield on it. Sorted.

If no rad in the new kitchen, just swap one of the TRVs for a lockshield, anywhere in the system will do. Maybe on the landing, or get the Mrs to choose a pair of fancy chrome lockshields for the bathroom.

Cheers.

I'm going to rebalance the system as I've changed a couple of rads, so does the permenantly on rad need to be fully open, or should I balance it same as the others ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back