removing unused socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a socket that is unused and therefore I want to remove it. It only has 1 grey cable running into it. Is it ok to simply remove the socket and remove the wires from where they are running from ( another socket 2 foot away) ?

Sponsored Links
Since it's either a spur or the end of a radial then yes should be fine make sure it's islolated.

Thanks now sorted however when I removed front from socket it was connected to I noticed the back box wasn't connected by an earth to the metal front plate. Would you change the back box and earth it to be on the safe side?

Yep the socket/box serving the socket you removed should be earthed so there is no possiblity the screws holding the socket front plate in place become live under fault conditions.

Sponsored Links
cfg33 said:
Thanks now sorted however when I removed front from socket it was connected to I noticed the back box wasn't connected by an earth to the metal front plate. Would you change the back box and earth it to be on the safe side?

If the backbox has a fixed lug then there's no requirement to earth the backbox.
That said, I always do as I think its lazy not to though most new houses have unearthed backboxes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back