Removing vinyl silk over Polytex!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Hope you can help.
I've spent the last 2 days trying to remove a charming mixture of Khaki vinyl silk which was painted over what looks like Polytex (thin textured Artexy stuff).
I managed to get all of it off one wall, but the other wall that I need to do is doing my head in :mad:
I have been using a wallpaper steamer and scraper, but the paint on this wall just won't come off easily, unlike the other wall. The steam just doesn't seem to be penetrating it.

Does anyone have any ideas please?
Would sugar soap help break down the surface of the paint so that the steamer can do its job?
PLEASE help before my arm drops off from all the scraping! Got to get this disgusting stuff off before the plasterer arrives on Monday morning.

Sponsored Links
Why are you going to all that bother, just leave it all on. With a little preparation (pva), the whole lot can be plastered over with no problems at all. Your plasterer should know that.

Roughcaster

Too expensive and messy to plaster over. Been there and done that with another room. Its a big room and plastering/boarding the ceiling is costing £600!!!
Its been bugging me for 22 years now-enough is enough! Just got to get rid and get back to REAL plaster. Everytime I paper over this stuff the wallpaper sheets creep apart after a few months.

Roughcaster

. Everytime I paper over this stuff the wallpaper sheets creep apart after a few months.
it wouldn`t if you had coated it with Zinsser water based sealer :idea: £40. for a 10 foot square room...it stabilises the shiny shyte before you paper . How big is the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Roughcaster

Too expensive and messy to plaster over. Been there and done that with another room. Its a big room and plastering/boarding the ceiling is costing £600!!!
Its been bugging me for 22 years now-enough is enough! Just got to get rid and get back to REAL plaster. Everytime I paper over this stuff the wallpaper sheets creep apart after a few months.

Ok Tab',, fair comment, but apart from hard work and sweat, sounds like that's about it. Someone else might have another suggestion to take it off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back