Removing Wooden Window for furniture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large double glazed living room window. It has 3 sections, the sides crank open and the center is fixed. The Center is about 4ft by 4ft.

I need to know if it is safe to remove that center section to move furniture in and then put it back in. I can see a screw on each side of the center frame connecting it to the main frame that holds the crank side windows. There are also four screws on the top and bottom going from the main frame into the center pane's frame.

If I unscrew all of these screws should that center piece come out and should it go back in just as easily? Is there something I should have on hand to reseal it?

Thank you for the help!

Sponsored Links
its going to have several screw/sealant trim holding it in
it may also be structural ask you neighbors or an engineer/builder

To clarify the situation. I'd like to only remove the center double pane piece. On both sides of that piece are crank out panes. The look of this center piece is very similar only it is screwed into the rest of the window frame instead of being mounted on a crank system. I'd be leaving the crank windows in and only taking out the center window that's between them which would also leaving everything fully framed.

i would say if its only glass then more than likely but i dont know the makeup off american windows ??

Sponsored Links
It's basically the double glazed glass with a wooden frame around that. Then that frame seems to be screwed into the main framing that is actually attached to the wall. I was just curious if anyone had heard of something like that or knew for sure if it was ok to pull that out. Also whether or not something like that would be sealed with something and what that might be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back