Wooden window frame removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning,

I have some rot in the wooden window frame of a dormer back bedroom. Unfortunately the rot has also spread into the dormer frame to some extent. I am having UPVC windows installed in a few weeks but want to be sure that all the rot is replaced with new wood. To that end I was hoping to remove the frame entirely into the bedroom. I have already removed the opening 1/2 window frame on RHS yesterday so that should cut the weight down somewhat. But can someone advise on best procedure to remove the actual frame without making a mess of it. Seems to be wooden thin white trim up against the plasterboard - is this likely to be nailed in? I am guessing after that I would need to remove the fixed in glass pane on the left hand side to expose the main fixing screws on the LHS, the fixing screws on the RHS will be exposed when the opening 1/2 window on LHS is again removed.

Some photos are attached to help explain.

Grateful for any advice offered.

-Thomas

Attachments

• 2023-11-26 09.27.31.jpg
    2023-11-26 09.27.31.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 2023-11-26 09.27.04.jpg
    2023-11-26 09.27.04.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 2023-11-26 09.27.08.jpg
    2023-11-26 09.27.08.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 2023-11-26 09.27.15.jpg
    2023-11-26 09.27.15.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 33
Sponsored Links
I would just leave it to the window fitters.

They will remove the frame, the trim and if want the window board as well- that’s all the wood gone.

If you really want to do it your self, I can tell you how fitters would do it: they would remove the glass if its easy to get out by removing the glazing bead, if it’s not they would smash the glass, knock it all out of the frame, then use a recip saw and or multi tool to cut through the timber jambs, head and bottom then lever the parts inwards.

Window fitters would have that frame out in 15 minutes

Thanks for the reply Notch7.

What exactly do you mean by "window board"? As I understood it the wooden window frame buts up against the actual dormer wooden frame with some spacers separating each and gap filled by expanding foam.

Please do clarify further.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply Notch7.

What exactly do you mean by "window board"? As I understood it the wooden window frame buts up against the actual dormer wooden frame with some spacers separating each and gap filled by expanding foam.

Please do clarify further.

The window board is the timber ledge on the inside of the window

The sloping bit of timber outside is the window cill.

As I understood it the wooden window frame buts up against the actual dormer wooden frame with some spacers separating each and gap filled by expanding foam
Ah ok, I hadn’t realised it was a dormer.

So the dormer structural opening would’ve been built and then the timber window made to be about 10mm smaller, so as you say it would’ve been put in with spacers - probably not foam as the window prob predates that, but the new one will be fitted that way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back