Renault and the Diesel/Petrol decision

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We're toying with the idea of swapping out car and we've seen a Renault scenic that fits out needs and is affordable for us. Anyone have any positive or negative reports on reliability of Renaults and the Scenics particularly?

Secondly, we're looking for a car that's economical on fuel and we've been told that whilst its commonly understood that diesels are more economical on fuel, this is only true if you use the car for reasonable distance journeys. A huge majority of the journey's the missus does in the car are probably under 4miles - is it true that for journeys such as this, a petrol car may well use less fuel than a diesel?

Sponsored Links
I would suggest that you look at the Parkers guide on line for an assesment of the car generally, there are also a number of owners reviews you can peruse.

As far as the diesel v petrol question there is no doubt that in by far the majority of cases the diesel will use a lot less fuel, again look up the comparison in Parkers. While its true that most advantage is to be gained on long journeys I think you will find the in urban driving the consumption of the diesel will be considerably better.

The Renault Scenic seems to be a well designed car but Renaults in general are not the most reliable or easy to work on.

Peter

The 1.5 dci engine qualifies for £32 a year road tax, and in Mrs. B's Nissan Note never gives less than 59 mpg. Personally I don't have any issues with Renault but we have an excellent dealership nearby.
John :)

We have consecutively driven two diesel, 5 seat, 1.5 litre Scenics from new over the past 7 yrs.
No real problems with either, especially our latest '08 plate. Pretty much 80,000 miles total accumulated mileage thus far. Uses about one litre of engine oil twixt services.
I / we enjoy driving the things ! Elevated road view, arm rests, lotsa interior storage, a/con' glovebox... Sadly sounds like a bag of nails from the outside, but ok inside !
Extras? Adjustable Speed limiter ;) / cruise control plus parking sensors... True'ish 50+ mpg - loads of extendable interior space - carted 2 kids plus living stuff around the country from North to South for 5 yrs without slightest hassle.
Excellent tyre wear for front wheel drive, given sensible driving.
Stops ok - keeps up on motorway - no jet fighter acceleration but guaranteed to catch up at the next traffic slowdown.
Both were silver coloured - We think, cotourwise they look pretty stylish too.

We are considering buying a new 'un in 2012 - If not a Prius.

PS. Economy - The computer says generally av. speed overall per reset (per tank up) around 27 mph, mostly less - Shortish, journeys, evenly balanced city and country, say 4-12 miles one way.

I too have a 2010 Note diesel, £30 insurance £190 fully dancing insurance - more or less same engine as Scenic - pretty high geared - agree around 60 mpg - Brill 'Connect' system - radio - traffic - sat nav (traffic integrated) - usb !!! Just plug in the flash drive for music - never use the CD player. Installing speedcam database is a cinch !

So ok thus far with Renault basing - I guess they must make some wrong un's, but I am willing to bet there are plenty of poor owners who mistreat the instrument leading to 2nd hand woes.

-p-

Sponsored Links
Sounds fair enough. My comments on reliability were based on the age of cars I drive. Not familier with anything as new as that :D

Peter

make sure the clutch is ok, nightmare of a job to change and best left to the dealer. I know someone who has just paid out £1500 to have one done!

Don't do a timing belt either.....no key on the crank sprocket, and no access either :eek: As for the clutch...errr no. Trade that pleasure on :p

Biggest problem with the Scenic I assume post 54 plate? Is blank dash syndrome! Other than that windows and sometimes door locks, oh and heater blowers often fail due to melted wires, oh and Auto handbrakes are sometimes a problem, oh and Renault Gearboxes are generally weak.

The engine its self should give little trouble.

Seems I was right the first time :D

Peter

My philosophy on Renaults is this, if you must buy a Renault buy it new, then you should have 2.5 years of motoring where the faults (there will be some) will atleast be paid for by Renault, then with 6 months left on the warranty sell it! That way its still worth something and any problems are a warranty job.

Nah, I am right re: our two experiences no probs... 4 yrs with first, 3.5 yrs with second.
-p-

Do the diesels have a DPF?
If you are doing mostly 4 mile journeys and dont take it on a motorway run at least every couple of weeks then its probably not suited to that type of driving.

No DPF filter in our latest - 08 plate Scenic.

-p-

Mmmm, plenty there to think about!! The missus fancies a Nissan Note, but my experience of Nissans is that they seem to feel plasticy and cheap - but not looked at a Note yet so maybe they'll be ok? And if they do close to 60mpg then that can only be a good thing. I've also heard Nissans don't keep their value very well??

We had the same issue with the particle filter when we bought our 307 (which hasn't got one) as we were told it needed some high speed driving quite regularly to stop it blocking up - is there any benefit for these filters??

The 7 year warranty on Kias is tempting us also - we can buy a 12-24month old car at much below the showroom price and it still has 5-6 years manufacturers warranty!!

Mrs B has the 85 BHP Note, 1.5 dci, 09 plate......its just turning to 50k miles. Its the middle trim one - Initia I think, 5 speed box.
Its been a superb vehicle, has needed only front discs and pads, and I drop the oil and filters at 10k. Rear tyres have just been done, the front ones went to 35k.
Its never been back to the dealer, the only issue I have is the alloys have corroded around the centre.
She'll have another one next March, and as for the depreciation - well thats just the way it is.
Other ones to look at are the Renault Modus and the Skoda Roomster.

Sponsored Links
Back