Rendering a previously painted wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an external brick wall which I intend to render:

resized_DSCF0011.jpg

As you can see it is in a poor state and has been previously painted.
I have knocked off all the loose paint and will re-point.

My question is how do I prepare the wall to render for good adhesion do I need to consider expamet? If using expamet are 2 coats still required (scratch and final)?

Should I render right to the floor/flags, as you can see the bottom of the wall is damp?

If I am to stop short how far should I go and which beads should I use plastic or metal?

I intend to remove the existing coping, replace with new coping and then render does that order seem ok?

Based on what I have read I intend to use 1:1:5 cement, lime, Sand (2 parts building, 2 parts soft) with plasticizer for scratch and same again for final with waterproofing agent, both to a depth of 15mm –does that sound ok?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

J

Sponsored Links
This is just my opinion, but if that wall belonged to me and I wanted to spend money on it, I would knock it down and re-build a new one, especially with the damp rising up from the foundation.You could spend a lot of time and money on it, preparing, cement render, new coping etc, and it would look ok for a while, but I think the damp at the bottom of the wall, in time, will come through the render, and spoil your job. As I said, that's just my opinion.

Roughcaster.

By the look of the wall it looks like its 9" brickwork. So if you knock it down you will either have to put piers in it or block on flat. You could take the copin's off and take out any loose bricks and build them in again and make the wall secure..I would try and get as much of that paint off, Either hacking with a "Scutch" hammer or running a grinding disc all over it. I would then put some "Grinds" in it at a depth of about 1/4" to 1/2"(in diamond shapes) then I would cover it with expanding metal(over lap your joints by 12") and then throw a "scut or splatter-dash coat all over it (pva,3 sand 1 cement quite runny) Take off all the "peaks" and let it dry. Then scratch coat it (4 to 1 sand and cement with w/ proofer in the mix.Then float coat it (5 to1 sand and cement with w/proofer) and rub it up and sponge it.When it has all dried I would coat it with a "Micro- porous paint as you still wont stop the damp at the bottom of the wall but you will be able to wash it down every now and again.. Or you could put a 12mm render-stop bead on your scratch-coat 6" up from the ground level float down to it then float the 6"s under the bead and paint with "bitumous paint up to the bead....Good luck....

By the look of the wall it looks like its 9" brickwork. So if you knock it down you will either have to put piers in it or block on flat. You could take the copin's off and take out any loose bricks and build them in again and make the wall secure..I would try and get as much of that paint off, Either hacking with a "Scutch" hammer or running a grinding disc all over it. I would then put some "Grinds" in it at a depth of about 1/4" to 1/2"(in diamond shapes) then I would cover it with expanding metal(over lap your joints by 12") and then throw a "scut or splatter-dash coat all over it (pva,3 sand 1 cement quite runny) Take off all the "peaks" and let it dry. Then scratch coat it (4 to 1 sand and cement with w/ proofer in the mix.Then float coat it (5 to1 sand and cement with w/proofer) and rub it up and sponge it.When it has all dried I would coat it with a "Micro- porous paint as you still wont stop the damp at the bottom of the wall but you will be able to wash it down every now and again.. Or you could put a 12mm render-stop bead on your scratch-coat 6" up from the ground level float down to it then float the 6"s under the bead and paint with "bitumous paint up to the bead....Good luck....

Sponsored Links
In my opinion, rendered walls next to brick houses look hideous. If it were me I'd put a wire brush in my grinder, get all the old paint off. Rake out joints with grinder. Repoint, Brush on a load of Thompson's No More Damp and leave it at that.

The "mans " choice was to render it joe.... ;)

But he hasn't considered that it will devalue his property and look naff. Surely if someone thinks he's made a boo boo they should point that out to him?

What looks "naff" to someone may not look "naff" to someone else..

A rendered wall next to a brick house looks naff to everyone. Get it back to brick and fix it up,

yoocan,

the pics brill

did u get sorted on this - it looks in good condition to me (and i'm not joking)

Awww. You're too late Jerry. He sold it on e-bay for £50 quid. The buyer collected. :confused: He lives in Wallsend. :rolleyes:

Roughcaster.

Roughcaster,

it's true then - beauty's in the eye of the beholder :rolleyes:

i now see the error of my ways - been spending too much time cooking curry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back