Rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small wall indoors (approx 5 m2) that I want to render. It is a brick wall and has been painted.

What products do I need to buy and how do I go about rendering a wall?

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Bola
The first job that must be done is to remove the flaking paint using a paint scraper or wire brush. This is essential for the longevity of the surface. The cement won’t adhere to the paint and for the best bonding of the cement to the wall surface, it must be clean of any loose material.

Prepare the surface, or for larger jobs use an angle grinder. The mechanical method will create a lot of dust.
It is important that these fine particles are not inhaled so all those in the working environment must wear a dust mask.

wash down wall with soft brush an water ...

then Pva it with a mix of 4 parts water too 1 part pva
let dry

render mix
Four parts of sharp sand, one part cement and one part of lime. (Always keep the sand clean and measure level to the top of a bucket every time. This way the same recipe can be repeated exactly.) Avoid any contact with the skin.

The mixture is then applied to the walls using a steel trowel and holding hawk....try to achieve an even 10mm of render across the wall.

When the mixture starts to dry a steel straight edge is used with a level to straighten the wall. Any hollows are then filled with more render.

A wood float is used to smooth the surface of any bumps or hollows

A sponge float is used to give a flat line finish

Corners and windows are perfected using a straight steel edge. A corner trowel is applied to bricks or concrete blocks.

hope this helps you :)

Thank you for your detailed resonse, much appreciated.

Regards

Sponsored Links
That was an comprehensive answer Moz, be great if we could have a few answers like that made 'sticky'

C.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back