Repair clay gullies / groundworks / patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I’m looking to sort out the self-inflicted mess outside my back door and lay a patio. I haven’t done groundworks before but I think I’m handy enough to do this with a bit of expert guidance.

I lifted about 24 sq m of concrete from outside our back door with a view to levelling and laying stone slabs. In lifting the concrete, I uncovered a broken salt glaze gully – and I slightly damaged another myself. The first one carries grey waste water (from two bathrooms and also downpipe from gutter) and it is currently flowing straight into the earth. There are a couple of other gullies and a rodding eye (I think) from which I haven’t yet removed the surrounding concrete. The gullies aren’t all at the same level (the concrete I’ve removed was not level).

So, I think the first thing I need to do is repair the gullies - to the same level. What’s the best way to go about this? Do I excavate them all, sever them and replace the upper sections with PVC hoppers and plastic couplings? What kinds of these do I need for the gullies I have? (See pics.)

Many thanks in advance,
Ben

Attachments

• IMG_8765.jpeg
    IMG_8765.jpeg
    670.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8766.jpeg
    IMG_8766.jpeg
    630.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8774.jpeg
    IMG_8774.jpeg
    749.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8767.jpeg
    IMG_8767.jpeg
    753 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8768.jpeg
    IMG_8768.jpeg
    698.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8769.jpeg
    IMG_8769.jpeg
    842.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8770.jpeg
    IMG_8770.jpeg
    822.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8771.jpeg
    IMG_8771.jpeg
    828.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_8772.jpeg
    IMG_8772.jpeg
    645.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would dig down to see what waste goes where, and check out the levels. Then design the new system from scratch so that surface water goes to a soakaway and grey water and soil to the main sewer.

Thanks very much for the quick reply, blup. What’s the benefit of segregating the surface water from the grey water if the original configuration is still working well (apart from the damaged gullies)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back