Repairing Baxi Coal Bed

D

Deleted2797112

I have a Baxi Bermuda Inset 2 fire front. I discovered too late that the idiot engineer that came to repair the back boiler had never worked on one before. Long story short, he broke the back panel of the coal bed into three pieces. The panel is the same material as the coals - feels like polystyrene but isn't. I've tried everywhere I can find to get a new panel but according to Baxi, the part is obsolete.

My question is, is there any type of glue that I can safely use to stick it back together, bearing in mind that it may come into contact with open flames when the fire is lit?

Sponsored Links
im pretty sure there isn't,

also, your fire front is now classed as 'at risk' the guy who serviced it should've left you a warning notice and explained the situation.

Have never come across fire glue before, don't think you would be able to glue it TBH.

How about trawling through the Baxi part list for current back plates, other makes too. You may be able to get one that's close and adapt it, whittle it to fit, what colour is the broken one?

I have to say that I would class working on the fire bed as "gas work" and therefore not suitable for a DIYer.

There are a lot of these units being removed and it should be possible to buy a used one at some time.

I am annoyingly driving a free standing gas fire around because the front decorative part was accidently thrown away by someone.

Tony

Sponsored Links
im pretty sure there isn't,

also, your fire front is now classed as 'at risk' the guy who serviced it should've left you a warning notice and explained the situation.

The panel is still functional - it locates properly on the lugs in the fire bed and sits flat against a metal panel behind it. Three different engineers have seen it in that condition and none have said anything about it being at risk.

Have never come across fire glue before, don't think you would be able to glue it TBH.

How about trawling through the Baxi part list for current back plates, other makes too. You may be able to get one that's close and adapt it, whittle it to fit, what colour is the broken one?

Thanks, that's kind of what I thought. I had a look at the Bermuda 3 panel but it's a completely different shape. I'll have a look at other makes. It's a black one.

I have to say that I would class working on the fire bed as "gas work" and therefore not suitable for a DIYer.

There are a lot of these units being removed and it should be possible to buy a used one at some time.

I am annoyingly driving a free standing gas fire around because the front decorative part was accidently thrown away by someone.

Tony

Thanks. As above, I'm going to have a look at other makes. I've also set up some alerts on eBay to see if I can find one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back