Repairing garden brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any advice on how I can go about mending my garden wall?

There are 2 long cracks in the brickwork and the entire section could now fall if pushed. Here's a picture:

//media.diynot.com/140000_139052_49476_65430693_thumb.jpg

In order to make the wall safe and secure would I be able to push new mortar into the gaps or should I look to rebuild the area again? If so, could I salvage the old bricks?

My last thought was that if I could lift off the damaged area I could maybe add fresh mortar then replace a larger section?

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
Any advice on how I can go about mending my garden wall?

There are 2 long cracks in the brickwork and the entire section could now fall if pushed. Here's a picture:

//media.diynot.com/140000_139052_49476_65430693_thumb.jpg

In order to make the wall safe and secure would I be able to push new mortar into the gaps or should I look to rebuild the area again? If so, could I salvage the old bricks?

My last thought was that if I could lift off the damaged area I could maybe add fresh mortar then replace a larger section?

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Nice pic- but too small to see.
From what I can see--it's no big deal. BUT- if it worries you-- rake out the joints- squirt a little expanding foam into the joints. wait until foam dries/sets- and then scrape the surface foam off and point it up/.
Job done.
Looking at the 45 degree angle of the 'faulty joints. That is called 'angle of repose'. Due to settlement of foundation.
Caused by some 'numpty' not putting in adequate foundations for the wall- as small as the wall may be .

Does it move if you carefully nudge it whilst holding it ? Or is it still solid ?

If still solid just rake out loose mortar as Peteperfect says but i would repoint the joints with fresh mortar. Use a pointing trowel to carefully fill the joints (don't smear over bricks at all). Not too wet with the mortar. Leave for 10 minutes then rub over it with a bent piece of 22mm copper tube. Leave alone for further 10 minutes and lightly brush with a soft broom head.

If it is loose/unsafe then take it down carefully and set the bricks aside for re-use. You may have to chip the old mortar off them. Take your time and try not to chip the bricks. Only take down what is loose. Then rebuild. If it looks rubbish take it down the next day and try again. If it looks rubbish again take it down the next day and get a bricky to rebuild it. Should only cost you £100 tops if you 've already took it down. For a bricky this will be about 2 hours work and a bucket of pug so anymore than £100 is a NO.

This is the front of your house. This is one of the first things people will see that came to your house. .........just sayin'.

Sponsored Links
If you've done some brickwork before do it yourself. If not get a bricky. You can't really take a section of wall and fix it it on one bed of mortar as it wouldn't be tied in to anything. It would literally be sat there on one bed and not very stable.

If you used a bricky he would probably want to use new bricks (unless you did the demolition and cleaned them all off). It would work out cheaper and quicker. Do you know anyone ? If not check out any sites near you and ask a bricky if he'd come have a look. It's the ideal saturday morning kinda job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back