Repairing Render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We had our house re-rendered a couple of months back to a smooth finish which is slightly sandy, you'll probably know what I mean as I don't know the correct term.

Anyway, we have a side gate that banged in the wind one night and left two deep chunks taken out of the brand new render.

Me not having a clue about DIY thought of Polyfilla straight away and went out and bought that. Filled the two chunks to what I thought looked smooth, sanded down and painted.

Went out the next day and what we now have are basically two patches that are smooth, shiny and stand out like a sore thumb. Even the paint looks a different colour to the rest of the house just because of the difference in texture.

To be honest I think the two chunks looked better, as this just looks like a disaster now especially as it cost so much to have the whole house re-rendered.

Hoping someone can save me?

Regards

Anon1

Sponsored Links
If the gate "banged " against it and made two holes then there is a chance of it happening again. So the last thing you want to patch render up with is smooth polyfilla. How big are the "chunks" that were knocked out? A picture would help. It is quite difficult to patch render back in with out it sticking out like a sore thumb. But if the old render is painted then you should be able to patch in and paint with not too much trouble. Get some plastering sand and a bit of cement (depending how big the hole is) mix 5 tablespoons of sand and one tablespoon of cement together till you have a uniform mix and add a little water so they blend together as one ,but not too sloppy then with a small paint brush ,brush the area that needs filling with some clean water,and around the edge of the area. Make sure the whole area is "damp" but not dripping wet then with a small trowel or plasterers small tool (hard to find amongst us Macho plasterers) no only jokin, use the trowel or PSTool and fill the hole with the render mix dont try and fill it out all in one just build it up in layers well packed in. Make sure when you have filled the hole with the "muck" it is "proud of the surface you have repaired. leave it for a while maybe 10 mins. or more then get a nice clean sponge and soak it in water and squeeze it right out so the sponge is damp not soaked ,Then the good part. Gently rub the area you have filled, in small circles putting light pressure on the sponge till it blends in with the surface aroud it. Leave it to set, and if done properly can be painted and matched in with original surface. Good luck ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back