repairing split water hose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Despite a lot of searching i cant find a replacement hose for the cooling system on my ford p100 (ford dont make the part and breakers yards around here just seem to cut through them when they take the engine out) Unfortunatley its not a simple hose as it has a manifold for a temperature sensor for the carb and another one leading off to the expansion tank. its got a split in it about 6 inches long. Anyone any ideas on repairing it? any compounds that i could use etc? i did think about a larger one over it with jubilee clips, but its also split around the base of the manifold so that makes it a tad difficult

(sods law it would go when im just about to sell it!)

Sponsored Links
This is the Cortina front with a pick-up at the back? I'm surprised it's a discontinued part already, but I believe there is a Cortina Owners club, i would have thought it's a part that is needed from time to time so there ought to me an aftermarket one available.

Repairing old hoses, which are under pressure, is unlikely to work, I suppose you might be able to get a vulcanised repair at a company that repairs lorry tyres (these are so expensive that they are often repaired instead of replaced). Tyre Sale companies are less keen on doing repairs. I used to know the owners of a London Skip company that often had repairs done on some of the machinery tyres like that.

Any good?
http://www.cortinaownersclub.co.uk/
http://www.markthreeownersclub.com/

john cheers for your help, but its the sierra variant!

Surely the same hose from a Sierra would fit? You could get someone to make up a copper pipe manifold cut out the split part then join up the ends with jubilee clips and good ole Stag.

Sponsored Links
Once upon a time I managed to repair a hose that was in the same condition as yours.

Firstly, I thoroughly cleaned the 'wound' (i.e. the split), probably using some metholated spirits or some kind of alcohol.

I then rubbed the area around the split with wire wool, and also along the mating faces of the split.

I then applied rubber solution (like what you get in a bicycle tube repair kit) to the split, and wrapped self-amalgamating tape all around the hose, starting before one of the split and ending after the other end.

I left it about an hour before testing, and there were no problems. In fact, the hose lasted for a couple of years before a woman driver rammed the back of my car and wrote it off :rolleyes:

Back