Repairs To Wooden Window Frame - Options ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a wooden window frame that is in need of repair at the corner just above the point where it meets the stone sill. It looks as though the wood has swollen through water ingress forcing the surfaces either side of the corner to become raised. I have pasted a picture of the frame below, to enlarge the picture just click the image:

Can the swollen and presumably rotten wood be replaced with a section of new wood or are there any other options for repair? Finally, is it a job for a carpenter rather than a novice at DIY?

Rgds
Jack

Sponsored Links
Cut out the rot and fill with Timbabond resin or similar

^woody^,

Thx for the info, I have checked out the Tremco website and the only similar named product I can find is "Timbabond 636" which is described as an adhesive rather than a resin. Is this the stuff to use?

If the Timbabond is not available locally would you please be able to recommend another product or would an epoxy based car filler resin do the job?

I know people use car filler for various wood repairs, but I am not sure how it copes in such a large mass. It should be OK

Unibond do a "Repair Wood for Good" product and Evode do a similar one one too

There is a well-known product regularly advertised in the trade press ... I can see the advert in my mind, but I'll be damned if I can remember the name of it :oops:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back