Reparations for slavery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You call slavery inhumane, yet it is condoned in the bible by god himself. Hypocrite much?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bible_and_slavery

Two different things, Black slavery no rights whatsoever can and was killed on a whim, slaves under the Isrealites had rights.

They could sell themselves in to slavery to afford the protection of their masters. Slavery under the isrealites was more like been a hired hand.

Same name but totally different situations to be in.

Sponsored Links
The slaves in the bible had no rights, no freedom, were the property of a master, and were often born into slavery.

When you talk about 'hired hands' you are getting thinking of different people who were not actually slaves. The wiki article says it.

"A special case is that of the debtor who sells himself as a slave to his creditor; the Holiness Code instructs that in this situation, the debtor must not be made to do the work of slaves, but must instead be treated the same as a hired servant.[72] In Jewish tradition, this was taken to mean that the debtor should not be instructed to do humiliating work - which only slaves would do - and that the debtor should be asked to perform the craft(s) which they usually did before they had been enslaved, if it is realistic to do so"

UCL's Legacies of British Slave-Ownership Project, an online archive that allows users to identify those who benefited from slavery.
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/lbs/project/context/

"In 1833 parliament approved the payment of £20m to the former slave owners – 40% of the government's expenditure that year, equivalent to £16bn in today's money. Much of the wealth generated was concentrated in the West Country... - Compo' probably started back then.

Hmm 181 yrs ago, say 5% inflation I reckon that £20m is more like £137 billion in todays money !!

There will be heirs around today whose fortunes have been built on the proceeds of slavery - Perhaps they should apologise and compensate the descendants of slavery ? Not thee and I, I'll be bound.

-0-

Helping the descendants to 'move on'. But only if that means moving them back to their homeland.
They still won't be satisfied, but at least they'll be too far away to hear their bleeting.
I'm all in favour of these reparations. ;)
Typical response from the Grand Wizard of the KKK, as usual.
I wonder what type of reaction he would have received had he had the courage to voice his opinion on the show.
But no, just his usual anonymous, venomous comments on social media!

Although it may feel coded, the expression ‘endured slavery’ is of major significance when exploring the emotional legacy of the enslaved past; this is because this past still has an impact in terms of behaviour, cultural norms, parenting, relationships, lifestyle choices and in how identity is projected and received, not only for people of African descent, but also for people of European descent. In the United States, academics such as Dr Na’im Akbar and Dr Joy Leary have used the concept of post-traumatic slave syndrome to explain the conditions of African Americans; whilst in the Caribbean, Dr Fred Hickling has established an approach called Psychohistoriography to articulate the post-colonial legacy of slavery and Empire. These approaches on enslavement and mental illness raise major debates on choice, agency and historical labelling of diagnoses which begs the question: where does structural/ historical racism start and personal lifestyle choices take over?
http://lbsatucl.wordpress.com/

It's not obvious what Whitespirit's poblem is; structural/historical racism or his personal lifestyle choice. I suspect that his views are the product of his parents and he's trying to ensure that his family's culture endures.

Sponsored Links
Slavery was barbaric no question, but what's forgotton is how the African west coast chiefs used to send their warriors inland to catch their fellow blacks to sell to the slave traders.
Blacks catching blacks to sell to the whites. thats a fact thats forgotten.
We have a national amnesia or are using selected memory about the system of slavery; for example, white British involvement in slavery has been ignored and the focus has turned to narratives in which Africans on the continent were the most important players in this inhuman trade. Such narratives exonerate any pain or guilt for anyone in Britain who was connected with the trade. http://lbsatucl.wordpress.com/

And belatedly true but it was the royal navy that chased the traders on the high seas and gallantly fought them to free slaves.
Oh, so we're the good guys. We didn't participate or benefit from slavery.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Unfortunately slavery is alive and well in many parts of the world today and some newspaper reports show its happening here today.
Mans inhumanity to man very much occuring still.

"Slavery is alive and well" Oh, so that makes it alright, then. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
We don't need to concern ourselves. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Typical response from the Grand Wizard of the KKK

KKK. Are those the ones I see wandering the streets covered head to toe in a sheet, with only holes for their eyes?

Sorry, my mistake. Turns out that they're actually followers of a much less tolerant sect. They're followers of The Religion Of Peace And Tolerance.

:LOL: :LOL:

If it was both, he'd be able to present a more balanced view. :LOL:

No chance of that. :LOL:

Maybe Mr Condell's latest video (How To Be A Racist) will help him see what we can see is going on, but he is blind to. In fact he perversely seems to be relishing it, but he may only wake up when it's too late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY_DqzLGpCk[/QUOTE]

Everything he says is perfectly true.

I believe that, in time, one of two things is likely to happen: either the worm will turn and we'll regain our national identity, or we'll all be living under sharia law.

One thing's certain in my mind. They will never integrate as all other immigrants over the centuries have managed to do. Their goal is to change the country to what they want it to be and for us to meekly submit to their will, which appears to be what is happening little by little.

One thing's certain in my mind. They will never integrate as all other immigrants over the centuries have managed to do.
:LOL: :LOL:

Which is why we have communities such as "the Irish community", "the Jewish community", etc, etc.

Feeble minds. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: You should get out a bit more, I mean abroad and see the typical ex-pats, not able to converse on a basic level, reliant on translators, not mixing with the indigenous population, etc. :LOL: :LOL:

BUT, still given a welcome by that indigenous population, who go out of their way to find a way to communicate and be hospitable.

Remember the signature that one poster used to use:
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life." - Cecil Rhodes

Except Cecil Rhodes meant that he considered the Englishman as a superior being.
Although his intention was fundamentally racist, his statement undoubtedly has some truth:
Born poor? Bad luck, you have won last prize in the lottery of life. Will Hutton. Observer.
"He remained silent for the rest of the jouney, having been made painfully aware that birth is life's first lottery ticket." Jeffrey Archer. Be Careful What You Wish For
But the latter two quotes recognise and refer to class, wealth or social-geographical position rather than any underlying superiority.

Yet the members of the KKK on this forum think that it's all down to "personal lifestyle choice". I doubt if those posters are remotely aware of any distinction between cultural inheritance and wealth inheritance.

Moreover, anyone who thinks that slavery was/is abhorrent must have a chip on their shoulder? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back