Reparations for slavery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lefties have to justify their demented support for an immigration policy that's as open-door as possible. Making out that the current population of The UK somehow owes something for the perceived 'sins' of their forefathers is how they do it.

What they are too slow to realise is, that only the elite and those at the top benefitted in past centuries. Now, it's only the working/lower middle class that suffer the effects of poorly controlled immigration. The lefties obviously despise ordinary, hard working people in this country, because they are always the ones who lose out the most.

Historically, do you believe that 'lefties' have always been in favour of immigration?

How do you define, for example, big business in terms of left and right?

http://www.cityam.com/blog/1386583244/business-leaders-speak-out-support-immigration

Sponsored Links
RogueHanger

What mechanism would you use?
TBH, if I were part of an organisation arguing for recognition of the issue, I would suggest seeking professional legal or govenmental assistance to see what avenues are available.
That may have already occurred. I don't know, but certainly I wouldn't dismiss the issue out-of-hand.
Perhaps there is something that needs some official investigation and I would have thought that that ought to be the first step. I am aware that there have been some academic studies of the issue, and of the ones that I've seen, there does seem to be an issue that needs addressing.

Historically, do you believe that 'lefties' have always been in favour of immigration?

How do you define, for example, big business in terms of left and right?

http://www.cityam.com/blog/1386583244/business-leaders-speak-out-support-immigration[/QUOTE]

I believe that those who support unrestricted immigration fall into two categories: businessmen who benefit from people who will work for peanuts, and naive do-gooders who wish to satisfy their consciences without realising the consequences.

Unrestricted immigration has probably already gone too far, evidenced by our over-subscribed health service, transport infrastructure, schools, housing, and so on, and we all know who to thank for that.

Sponsored Links
I believe that those who support unrestricted immigration fall into two categories: businessmen who benefit from people who will work for peanuts, and naive do-gooders who wish to satisfy their consciences without realising the consequences.
I wondered how long it would be until someone started complaining about immigration. It's become an obsession with some posters. What has immigration to do with slavery?

As an ex-teacher you seem to have fallen into the trap of believing that the only options that exist are the ones that you've thought of.
What about, for example, those who have a genuine desire and belief of free movement of goods and persons wihtin the EU?

I'm sure there are other reasons.

Unrestricted immigration has probably already gone too far, evidenced by our over-subscribed health service, transport infrastructure, schools, housing, and so on, and we all know who to thank for that.
You're obviously ( and blissfully) unaware that the NHS, for one, would shudder to a halt without the migrant workers.
Additionally, some areas of EU countries would suffer some socio-commercial decline without UK ( and other) ex-pats.

in some respects immigration is linked to slavery and the empire
britain "invaded" several countries stealing the local assets and dominating and often enslaving the local people

this is why several generations later people from the caribbean india africa and other places have british passports and are entitled to come here as citizens off the british commonweath

britain "invaded" several countries stealing the local assets and dominating and often enslaving the local people

this is why several generations later people from the caribbean india africa and other places have british passports and are entitled to come here as citizens off the british commonweath

It's all more complex, as you say, than some commentators would have us believe.

yes enslavement happened a lot here
most large country houses where built on the back off slavery entrapment and abuse home and abroad

some where philintropic and looked after there workers but not many

Roguehanger: Your tag line should be 'Don't think of an elephant'

You were wondering when someone would bring up immigration because you absolutely love it when they do. Would you bother coming on here if everyone thought the same as you?

:rolleyes:

Sorry big-all, I don't think there is any direct link between modern day immigration and slavery.
As has already been pointed out, slavey was abolished 181 years ago, moden day immigration didn't start until after the WW1, but it was not until after WW11 that there was immigration in large numbers.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static/in_depth/uk/2002/race/short_history_of_immigration.stm

A quote from that article:
Under political pressure, the government legislated three times in less than a decade to make immigration for non-white people harder and harder. By 1972, legislation meant that a British passport holder born overseas could only settle in Britain if they, firstly, had a work permit and, secondly, could prove that a parent or grandparent had been born in the UK.

In practice, this meant children born to white families in the remnants of Empire or the former colonies could enter Britain. Their black counterparts could not.

We didn't enslave Poles or Irish, yet they were the first real immigrants in large numbers.
There was no enslavement of South Americans by USA but there is widespread migration to USA from South America. In fact, if anything there was enslavement by Spain and Potugal but there's no migration to those countries from South America. There's loads of similar examples that I could quote.
IMO, this is just another example of Aunt Sally arguments trying to divert the thread and avoid the issue.

It is true that the working class were exploited by the nobility, but there was no sense of enslavement. The workers weren't owned by the nobility and were paid a wage, albeit a pittance.

You were wondering when someone would bring up immigration because you absolutely love it when they do. Would you bother coming on here if everyone thought the same as you?

You're not obliged to contribute to this thread but if you do I would expect, as would any other nomal person, I suspect, expect you to contribute something constructive, be it a counter argument, another point to be considered, pehaps.
But childish comments are exactly that, childish and churlish. :rolleyes:

" What has immigration to do with slavery? "

We used immigrants as slaves for a number of years.

:LOL:

They never missed a day,
nor went on strike for better pay,
for ten year they served us best they could.

Mugs.

You're not obliged to contribute to this thread but if you do I would expect, as would any other nomal person, I suspect, expect you to contribute something constructive, be it a counter argument, another point to be considered, pehaps.
But childish comments are exactly that, childish and churlish. :rolleyes:

You might consider my comment childish but I'm glad to see you took note of one of my previous posts. I have noticed that you havn't actually called anyone a racist for some time now.

Well Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back