Replace 1 Gang 2 Way Switch with 2 Gang

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know if this is possible, in my new house we have a 1 gang, 2 way light switch in both the hallway and on the landing, these switches both turn on and off the hallway / landing lights together.

Is it possible to change the switches to a 2 gang, so we have greater control over each light?

Sponsored Links
It's possible. How easy it is depends on how it is currently wired.
Pictures of the wires behind each switch would be helpful.

I'll take a photo tomorrow. When I checked earlier I believe there was 5 wires. But I'll take a photo tomorrow.

Thank you for your quick response. :)

Sponsored Links
we have a 1 gang, 2 way light switch in both the hallway and on the landing, these switches both turn on and off the hallway / landing lights together.
Is it possible to change the switches to a 2 gang, so we have greater control over each light?

This depends on the reasoning why the switch is used for this function.
We really need to see what lies beneath the switch plate and some electrical testing may also be required.

Sorry for the delay, the hallway light switch wires are quite snug, so I can't fully pull out the light switch, I've taken several photos, sorry for the slightly obscured view.

IMG_0464.JPG
IMG_0472.JPG
IMG_0474.JPG

I'll have to get a photo of the landing light, it seems "stuck to the wall" I've removed the screws but the light switch won't budge, I think the previous tenant painted the walls and in the process the side of the switch. I'll sort that letter, I suspect though, there're only 3 wires in there, meaning I could install a 2-gang 2-way in that switch without running another cable, but I'll confirm later.

I would say that it's unlikely you will be able to do what you propose without major rewiring, but we'll look at other pic anyway.

For a house built as recent as 1993 that's some amateurish wiring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back