Replace 1 x Double Switch with 1 x Single Switch for both..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I\\\'ve read through the other posts and can\\\'t see any similar questions..

In my front room i have two lights on the ceiling - these run into a double switch on the wall and are switched on and off independently. There are no other switches in the room (so i guess that makes it 1 way?).

What i want to do is to use a single dimmer to turn and dim both lights, rather than having them independent.

Behind the switch i have 1 black (with red sleeve) and 1 red per light, previously going into L1 and COM of each side of the old switch.

How do i wire this into my dimmer (which has L1 L2 and squiggle) - is there a way?

Sponsored Links
In not a sparks so this is only a suggestion. Before starting are you using transformers for you lights? If so are you sure you have the right dimmer as they use a different one to mains voltage sometimes. My opinion would be to run a new cable from light 1-2. This cable would be a 3 core and earth. In light 1 (assuming you are using a ceiling rose) connect the red cable to the “loop feed”, the black to the neutral, the yellow to “switchline” and the bare copper to the earth (attach sieving) then do the same in light number 2. This has enabled you to use the same switch as light number 1 and now the second switch from light number 2 to can be decommissioned. I would advice that you seek professional advice from a qualified electrician. Hope that made some sense.

sorry me again i missed somthing out. please ensure that you remove the OLD switch line from light number 2 do not leave it connected.

Sponsored Links
yep, it makes sense, thanks, was just hoping there was something i could do from the switch end..

hmm - taken a look - getting a cable from light 1 to 2 doesn't look like an option.

would light 1 and 2 already be linked?

Providing they are both fed from the same circuit, you don't need any extra wiring.

Just put one live into common & both switchwires into L1. The other live make safe.

yes light 1 and 2 will be linked if they are on the same circuit. but the new cable would enable you to take a new switch line to the other light along with the feed,neutral and earth. putting the cables together in the switch would work however i do not see that as good practice. sorry i can not be of more help.

Peach, there must be a permanent live at each light already so running a 3-core between them is totally pointless, plus a permanent live isn't required at each light anyway.

Secures method is fine. Put both lives (red) into squiggly terminal and both switched lives (black with red sleeving) into L1.

Davy

I have suggested to use a 4 core and earth so that he can carry on the permanent feed because he has not stated if there is any lights connected on the radial after light number 2. The extra core is simply the extended switch line from light number 1. I have never said that secures method would never work I am simply saying that the additional wiring is a possibility.

4 core and earth? Live, switched live, neutral, earth... What's the extra cores purpose?

Regardless of whether there are more lights after those in question there still isn't any point running a permanent live from light 1 to light 2 because one already exists otherwise light 2 would never have worked.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to make an argument, I'm just saying that what you suggest (running 3/4 core between lights) is pointless and would just make unnecessary work for the OP when a simple alteration at the switch is all that is needed.

Davy

Sorry your right I meant 3 core and earth. I agree that the alteration at the switch would work. And I am aware that there must already be a permanent live at the light in order for it to work in the first place. I am simply trying to establish that by running an 3 core and earth the extra core would act as the additional switch line from light 1, would this work? I have never stated at any point that this would I am just simply a keen learner :D

What you suggest would work, but it would also work with 2 core and earth.

Assuming ceiling rose scenario:

Permanent live, neutral and earth at the first lamp from feed (t&e).
Permanent live goes to switch with switched live coming back to first lamp (t&e).
Switched live, neutral and earth looped to next lamps. (t&e).

If you need a permanent live for another room you just take it from the first lamp so there's no need for 3 or 4 core atall :D

Davy

thanks - i'll try the at the switch method tomorrow when it's light..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back