Replace/concrete-in drain hopper ?

C

Coniferman

I am in the process of pulling up and relaying some paving slabs that go around a corner of my house. (They needed re-levelling and pointing)

I am wondering whether to take the opportunity to replace the gutter drainage hopper. (Hope that is the correct term) It is a double sized hopper but the drain comes down in the middle so a single would probably suit better? (and cut down splashes) If I wanted to remove it is just a case of giving it a good tug? It seems quite free to move but does not just lift easily. Is it likely to be glued?

Secondly, if I do leave it (probably best - don't want to damage drains) is it ok just to concrete around it? The soil/concrete around it is too loose to support the paving slab going straight back down.

Sponsored Links
it's more than like made from cast iron.

You can buy these in upvc.

Once the screws have been removed, i give them a short sharp hit with a hammer and block of wood.

Wear your safety goggles though

Sorry - should have mentioned - it looks like clay. I am thinking of leaving it as it is. However, is there any reason NOT to concrete around it as there is a currently a gap of a couple of inches between it and the existing concrete sub-base which I would like to level off to ease replacing the paving slabs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back