Replace gun barrel pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've just found out that my pipes (upstairs and downstairs) are gun barrel. The house was built in 1980. Coz I'm doing a renovation, it seems sensible to replace the gun barrel pipes. Would you (option a) replace the existing gun barrel pipes as they are or (option b) just lay new copper pipes alongside the gun barrel??
Its a 4 bedroom semi (about 1200 sq feet).
Would anyone have an idea how long it would take options a and b and an apporximate cost.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
A.

Sponsored Links
Can anybody explain what "gun barrel" pipes are?

Tony

Sponsored Links
the only reference material i could find was:

Pull my trigger, I get bigger
Then I'm lots of fun
I'm your gun, gun, gun,
I'm your gun, gun, gun

Bite my bullet, push and pull it,
Tell me I'm the one
I'm your gun,gun,gun,
I'm your gun, gun, gun

Rub my barrel, straight and narrow,
Dress up like a nun,
I'm your gun, gun, gun,
I'm your gun, gun, gun,

Load my clip, lick your lips,
This is getting fun,
I,m your gun, gun, gun,
I'm your gun, gun,gun.

Alice Cooper. I'm your gun. Choruses only

if you find that the flow and return is flowing without obstruction inside the pipe work you should not have to replace it.
bare in mind that if you are going to attempt to fix pipework that cooper or brass react's with gun barrell.
the fitting's for gun barrell are normally welded or threaded joints.
gun barrell has not been used in ireland for domestic heating for nearly 20 yrs it is usually for commerical heating.
the best advice would be to power flush the system and put an inhibitor in.

Can anybody explain what "gun barrel" pipes are?

Tony

The OP's from Ireland

A byproduct of the peace process! :eek: Now they're not shooting soldiers and blowing each other's kneecaps off, I suppose those AK47 and sawn-off shotgun barrels come in handy for a spot of improvised plumbing. ;)

must be 1 of the unemployed ???.
think's he's a heating engineer but has no idea.

must be 1 of the unemployed ???.
think's he's a heating engineer but has no idea.

i'm already getting help (they call it treatment but i know what they're trying to do)

I think he must mean galv iron,sometimes referred to as "Barrel" but he could have gun barrels under his floor i s'pose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back