Replace this Stop Cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my Mains stopcock - it is siezed up and has been for a number of years I'd say (there is another fitted just beyond it in the 15mm pipework).

I would like to replace this one, so that I only have one. Can somebody please identify what exactly I need and any advice? (aware I could call a plumber, but I would rather do it myself)

The mains up-pipe seems to be steel but I don't know what the angled connector is, or if I need a special fitting.

Thanks

Attachments

• Mains.jpg
    Mains.jpg
    504.5 KB · Views: 203
Sponsored Links
Unscrew the tap out of the elbow - you may need to remove the tap's head gear if the tap is too close to wall to turn. Stillsons are best to turn tap, or maybe large adjustable. If really tight, heat the elbow where the tap screws into it. Then fit a 1/2" male bsp x 15mm compression fitting into the elbow with some PTFE tape on the thread to seal joint. Then short length of copper pipe into the compression end of new fitting and straight into a standard BS1010 stop tap.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/male-coupler-15mm-x/69358

Alternatively you could get a stop tap the same as yours with a BSP threaded end. This would probably be more difficult to source than standard stop tap with 15mm compression connections though, and more expensive.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back