Replace timer for Vokerra Excell 80SP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Can anybody point me to a suitable replacement timer for a Vokerra Excell 80SP combi boiler. I am looking for a 7day digital timer.

The current boiler controls are located on the front panel of the boiler, it is my intention to run a digital timer to a more accessible location. I am looking for a compatible replacement.

I was under the impression that any timer with the standard "backplate" will suffice as long as I wire it correctly and set the timer to "10" it should work. Or is there more to it than this.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would recoment a Danfoss TP 5000 programmable roomstat. It will give you time and temperature control as well as frost protection over seven day

Hello

Thanks for the reply, I am actually looking for a timer. I want to independently control CH & HW.

Would a Siemens RB29 suffice?

You do not use two channel programmers to control combi boilers.

First boiler control knob has a position where power is turned off (never leave the boiler in this position), next position power is on but boiler function are off,next- tap symbol is for summer setting where RUNNING a hot tap runs the boiler (No timer fitted to control this function as you do not have any connections that allows this). Final position is winter setting where the programmer controls the boiler to heat radiators.

You are already in need of a timer. Take an extra step and fit aforementioned unit to give you added function and fuel economy. Fitting a timer alone is a job half done.

Sponsored Links
DP,

Thankyou very much for your answers - I have a couple of further questions now though ... sorry !!

I thought I would need 6 channels (hw on/off, ch on/off, HW & ch on/off).

First boiler control knob has a position where power is turned off (never leave the boiler in this position), next position power is on but boiler function are off,next- tap symbol is for summer setting where RUNNING a hot tap runs the boiler (No timer fitted to control this function as you do not have any connections that allows this). Final position is winter setting where the programmer controls the boiler to heat radiators.

My boiler has 3 switch settings - A 'O' which I presume is off, a '*' (star) which I think means hot water only and finally a 'radiator' which I presume means hot water and central heating.

On my Vokerra is there another hidden switch, I cannot see it on the front plate - but it would be handy to know where it lives ...

There are also 2 temperature settings - To be honest adjusting these has never made any difference - the water is always too hot :)

You are already in need of a timer. Take an extra step and fit aforementioned unit to give you added function and fuel economy. Fitting a timer alone is a job half done.

Forgive me for my lack of understanding, but I thought the Danfoss TP 5000 was just a room thermostat with the option to set to the varying temperatures for different times. Eg - at 5pm set the room to 20 degrees and at 10pm set the room to 10 degrees ...etc. To just use the thermostat to control the temperature I would have to have the boiler in the permanent "on" position (not using the timer built into the boiler)

Is this what your suggesting or am I talking total b*ll*x ?

I am happy to replace the current thermostat with the one I have already but thought this would be in combination with a new timer.

Thanks for your patience

Steve

Sorry, my mistake. 80 SP has three positions as you say.

WRT the programmer. Temperature in the house is going to fluctuate. For instance it will rarely drop to 12 degrees C. So, the programmable roomstat is used to set for frost protection (say 12), background heat (when you are active in the house) say at 17, and say 20 when you are sitting down and reading a book or watching telly.

Temperature set to clock times that corresponds to your lifestyle.

DP,

Thankyou very much for your answers - I have a couple of further questions now though ... sorry !!

I thought I would need 6 channels (hw on/off, ch on/off, HW & ch on/off).

A combi provides Hot water on demand, unless you have some non standard setup involving a hot water storage tank, the boiler will not fire up unless there is a demand for hot water, unlike a system boiler that will heat the storage tank. All you should require is a suitable replacement for the existing timer to control the central heating.

@MarkBarl

A combi provides Hot water on demand, unless you have some non standard setup involving a hot water storage tank, the boiler will not fire up unless there is a demand for hot water, unlike a system boiler that will heat the storage tank. All you should require is a suitable replacement for the existing timer to control the central heating.

Mark,

This is basically the jist of this thread.. "can anyone suggest a suitable replacement for the existing (mechanical) timer"

I have come across landlords who restrict hot water to certain times of day to prevent their tenants having use of hot water at any time!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back