Replacement Dimmer Switch - wiring question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am changing an old gold dimmer switch for a more modern brushed steel dimmer switch but am confused with the wiring i've found. Both dimmers are push on/off and twist to dim. There is only 1 single dimmer switch controlling the light. Can you help?

I found the following (pics attached): -

red connected to L1
black connected to C
yellow / green (earth?) connected to L2

As this is a replacement only the instructions tell me to wire the same way as found except earth as per instructions. The earth connection to L2 is confusing me

Can anyone advise?

thanks

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Sponsored Links
Iggifer - thanks for quick response......
I don't have any way of testing. What would I need and what would I be testing for?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Ok, well that's somewhat less concerning then.

But really, you want a multimeter to verify that, that earth is actually an earth. It's likely just a case some moron has put it in the wrong terminal.

If you can get your hands on a multimeter set to continuity (Ω), with the power off, test between that earth at the switch and that at the light fitting - you will very likely need to use something conductive to extend the reach. If you have a spare bit of flex you can use that with the help of an assistant.

I would be very wary doing anything until the wiring has been verified.

The person who fitted that was a dangerous idiot. You should probably assume that they have done other equally dangerous things elsewhere in your house. Get the whole place checked by a competent electrician ASAP.

Can you have a look at the light fitting and take as photo too?

Can you have a look at the light fitting and take as photo too?
I thought that, but I wouldn't be happy advising it was ok to connect up based on a photo of the rose, given how wrong the switch was and there's no guarantee there's no JB. Chances are if the rose is ok, the earth is ok, but I wouldn't want to risk it

Thanks for all the replies - I'll get a multimeter and check it out. If i'm still not happy then I'll get an electrician in
thanks

It looks like a wiring mistake, the earth must go into the Earth terminal, not the L1 or L2 terminals.
At present you do not appear to have an earth to your dimmer, unless the back box is earthed steel.
Have you checked that the dimmer is compatible with your light fittings lamps?
It may fail with a bang if there is a mismatch between lamp and dimmer.

Luckily it was an MCB installation, that tripped fast enough to save the dimmer circuitry. If you had a Rewireable fuse instead, the dimmer circuitry may have been wrecked by the sudden current surge.

Kai
There is only 1 earth wire (mistakenly(?) connected to L2). There is nothing connected to the existing switch earth terminal (picture 1 top right) and I cannot see anything else connected to the box which appears to be plastic not metal so guess you're right, currently not earthed.

Regarding mismatch comment..... I am replacing an existing gold dimmer switch with a new silver one and the light currently works and dims ok (notwithstanding the wiring anomaly!) so assuming this will be ok

Have also checked a couple of other single dimmers in the house and both have red to C, black to L1 and Earth connected to E and again no earth connected to back box which again appear to be plastic.

Hopefully just a one-off mistake....

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back