Replacement heat link to boiler - wiring query!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!
I’m switching out an old centre heat link with a nest one to my combi boiler.
My first question is:
Does the wiring diagram attached, and the wiring in the photo, align? It feels strange to have the two wires in the single point within the power side of the heat link, but I’m not an electrician!
Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_9104.jpeg
    IMG_9104.jpeg
    337 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9102.jpeg
    IMG_9102.jpeg
    215.8 KB · Views: 40
Sponsored Links
Yes, that’s basically a common. It’ll need one in the heat link too. Two if you’re doing the hot water side.

Perfect thankyou.
Following on from this, when wiring in the nest heatlink, I’m assuming the following:
-(N) neutral from power, neutral to boiler
-(L) live from power, live to boiler
-(3) black from boiler (as per original centre heatmap location 2).
The loop from the centre layout appears to move from (L) to (A), changing to (L) to (B), as per the nest wiring diagram.
Does this sound about right?
Many thanks!

Attachments

• A0D63FCD-E546-4E9B-A3DD-96290EC877F2.jpeg
    A0D63FCD-E546-4E9B-A3DD-96290EC877F2.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Not sure if you’ve understood it properly, as I can’t follow what you’ve said entirely. You have the L and N correct, then the link would go from L to 2 in heatlink and the black would go to 3

Sponsored Links
Yeah your summary makes sense. Thanks again for the input, very much appreciated!
Alec

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
It is normal to feed boiler, then feed the thermostat from the boiler, so if a fuse blows in the boiler then all power is removed. It will work thermostat then boiler, but that means you have two supplies to boiler, and should a fuse rupture then the boiler could still be live.

My boiler is very simple, supply on it runs, supply off it stops, it does not have a permanent line, so with my boiler supply to thermostat then to boiler is OK. So it does depend on boiler type.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back