Wiring Nest to Glo Worm 30CXi boiler

does the team think that sometimes people buy a Nest or Hive etc first because they think it looks cool, and only later do they consider if it will actually work with their system?
Yes, I do in the majority of cases, but not all.

I believe quite a few assume it will be a 'like for like' swap for their existing controls; simply plug and play; or have friends and family that have installed one in a few minutes that was 'so easy anyone can do it'. As indeed a some are. [For example exchanging a mains powered programmable thermostat fitted to a Combi for a Hive, Nest etc.,]

Then, when they start investigating, they find that they have a 'Y' or an 'S' plan with stored hot water to control, and wonder why it's not a 'like for like' swap with their existing room thermostat that only has 2 wires to connect.....and what do they do with the original programmer....

Interestingly, assuming that they previously had decent controls fitted, I've only found one person that has admitted getting a specific benefit from installing one. In fact one user said it used to be easy just to push a button on the kitchen wall mounted programmer to boost the hot water for an hour, whilst in kitchen clearing up after dinner, now it's a bit more of a 'faff'. The one person who mentioned a tangible benefit has a second home in the south of France and is not always sure when he's coming back to the UK, so likes the remote access so that he can turn his heating back up before he comes home.

Sponsored Links
I can see the convenience there.

But assuming he doesn't leave his house totally unheated while away, and that it's reasonably well insulated, and his heating system is reasonably responsive (i.e. wet-radiator gas CH), if he were to manually turn it on when he got home, then by the time he's finished unloading the car....

Personally I don't think that amount of convenience is worth the risks of an internet-enabled CH system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back