Replacement in-line SELV fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year my in-laws had a new bathroom fitted, and as required by the rules, this included an extractor fan. This is a SELV fan screwed to the plasterboard ceiling and makes a noise that is slightly louder than an aircraft engine on take off. By contrast, the 230V in-line fan fan for my bathroom which is mounted on the rafters can run all night without anyone hearing it.
To solve the noise problem I could install a 230V in line fan using new wiring, but as they have already paid for the installation of a transformer and wiring, I thought it would be a simple job to swap the fan unit for a SELV in line fan, but can't find one on the market. Is there a (reasonably priced) in-line SELV fan available?
Cheers
Mike

Sponsored Links
I do not think you will find one. The whole essence of the inline fan is that the power (230v) is only delivered to the fan unit and this is situated away from the special location (bathroom zone).

You would need to get rid of the 12v transformer wiring and wire it up as a 230v installation.

Bear in mind that this would then be a notifiable activity, building regulations Part P etc.

I thought you'd say that :(.
Given the excessive noise, the additional cost and the additional space needed for the transformer, what are the advantages of a ceiling mounted SELV fan versus an in-line 230V one?
Mike

Ceiling mounted fans are more accessible and you can get much more powerful ceiling fans.

Many of the in-line ones don't have the same performance and don't like pushing down long duct runs.

Sponsored Links
Ceiling fans are fitted because they are generally cheaper and quicker to fit.
They are usually rubbish, excessively noisy and do a poor job at extracting anything. Either that or the more powerful centrifugal models are so fat, they stick out from the ceiling by several inches.

SELV fans for bathrooms are usually a complete waste of money - in 99% of bathrooms, they are not necessary, as 230V types can be fitted, including those which are wall and ceiling mounted.

For a normal bathroom or shower room, this fan is a good choice:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/41379/

Exactly the sort of thing I wanted to fit - pity it's a SELV unit as it mean the wiring will need redoing.
The ducting is about 1m long from bathroom to outside vent so there are no long duct runs.
As the fan would be in the loft, it is not in a special location, and it could be fed from the existing fused spur on the lighting circuit that currently feeds the transformer, therefore is it notifiable work?
The CU was changed at the same time as the fan was fitted so is 17th ed compliant with all necessary circuit protection.
Mike

pity it's a SELV unit as it mean the wiring will need redoing.
Why does it?

Because I'm pretty sure a 230V in line fan won't run from a 12V SELV supply!

There is a fused switch in a surface mounted pattress right next to the ceiling outside the bathroom, and next to it is the SELV transformer/timer control unit box. A 2 core wire from the control unit box runs about 3m in the loft to the SELV fan.

Assuming that the control unit has a 230V supply from the fused switch and a switched 230V feed from the lighting circuit, it should be a fairly simple job to replace the control unit with a junction box and run 3 core cable directly to a timer controlled in-line fan in the loft.

As the regs allow addition of fused spurs/ light fitting etc to existing circuits that are not in special locations, and non of this work involves going into the bathroom (other than to remove the SELV fan) is this job notifiable?
TIA
Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back