replacement stat for this problem??

S

skuba

my parents have a british gas wr1 receiver and a british gas rc plus thermostat. recently, it's stopped working. they've had an engineer come out and replace a part within the receiver, but it's still not working. i've gone round and re-paired the devices, but it still doesn't work. the receiver appears to receive the instruction to fire up the boiler, but it fails to actually fire it up and the red light stays on

so, assuming this is a receiver problem and not the wireless thermostat, i was going to replace their receiver with a drayton digistat scr. but i can't find them sold individually. i don't really want my parents to pay £100+ for both units if i can avoid it. any suggestions? are there cheaper alternatives?

thanks

Sponsored Links
I assume when you say that "the receiver appears to receive the instruction" you mean that the red led on the receiver 'flashes' to show thermostat is communicating with it. If so, that would indeed indicate that there is some communication between the two, but we don't know if it's actually telling the receiver to turn the heating 'on' or is something else, such as just a simple 'handshake' saying I'm here.

Does the green 'on' light come on when the receiver is manually overridden? If not then the receiver is definitely faulty, if it does it still could be.

The British Gas WR1 is a rebadged Drayton device, so would work with a compatible with a Drayton unit. But you could replace both devices with a new wireless receiver / thermostat from any manufacturer. Most major brands such as Honeywell, Drayton, Siemens etc., are about £100+ The Salus RT500rf sells for about £30 to £40. I've fitted a few of these and they seem to work OK, if a bit tricky to programme IMHO. The only problem I have found with them, is that these units are quite popular now and if left on the factory operating frequency, thermostats in neighbouring properties can switch your heating on or off.

hi stem. yes i can manually override and the green light stays on. but if i turn the hearing up from the wireless control unit, the red light flashes, attempts to turn on the green light, but it immediately 'clicks' and the green light goes out. followed by a constant red light

it's like the signal is received, but it cannot actually fire the boiler up but you can manually override

Sponsored Links
It does sound like the receiver is probably the culprit. I have just had a look on line, and there are a few receivers (Drayton SCR, which should look the same as yours) for sale on ebay. One example can be found here. You could always get one and try it, if it solves the problem, great. If not put it back for sale.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back