Replacement windows help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon guys

We're looking to replace a couple of poorly old wooden casement windows on our extension and i'm looking for some wise advice :D

Firstly, wood or PVC? I was leaning towards wood just cause it's a bit nicer but as the extension is a flat room "box" aesthetics aren't too important and pvc looks like it is significantly cheaper.

Also, the dimensions of the old windows are standard 1195 x 1045 but have about 10mm plaster over them on the inside and even more render on the outside. To remove and replace, should i chip away the plaster or the render??

And finally - there are concrete sills built into the walls so should i spec windows with a "stub" sill or just go for a normal sill? The old ones just have a regular sill....

Cheers
Niall

Sponsored Links
Hi.

The window will have to be removed from the outside. Inside there will be stud work or block work in the way depending on how your extension was built.

Normally you smash out glass, remove any openers and cut throughout the window frame with a saw and take out window in pieces. That way it minimises damages to plaster work.

I'd match the window type with whatever fitted in the rest of the house.

Stub sills normally sit on top of normal sills to add bulk. Without normal sill rain water will run into brickwork.

Cheers

thanks DM

That's kinda how i thought it would work, it's just that the external render on the returns is thicker than the internal plaster - i tried to take a couple of picture to show this:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh102/niallmoran/Windows/IMGP4972.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh102/niallmoran/Windows/IMGP4976.jpg

I don't think there is block work or stud work on the inside that the windows are against - the extension appears to be a double layer of blocks with plaster applied direct to the inside wall. Saying that, removing from the outside would certainly be more wife friendly :D

I think sticking with the sills is the way to go - might go for the reduced 133mm sill to be a bit neater. Again, i've taken a quick snap to show the current sill arrangement - any thoughts gratefully received!

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh102/niallmoran/Windows/IMGP4974.jpg

Cheers
Niall

The issue is fitting the new window as once you've sawn through the frame of the window you are removing you'll be able to take it out without too much damage to either plaster or render.

Looking at last picture of sill. I'd consider removing the lower brick sills and inserting a larger taller window with a sill that clears render. The Walls seem very thick and I think that's why the brick sill has been used. It looks like the window is mounted a little far back. The new window should be mounted level with the external brick work. Then plasterwork Should be made good upto new window position. I think that will solve most of your problems.

Good luck

Cheers

Sponsored Links
had even considered that the old windows might be too far back! Taking out the brick sills etc might be a step too far for me though....maybe time to start looking for installers in the dundee/NE fife area :D

Looking at last picture of sill. I'd consider removing the lower brick sills and inserting a larger taller window with a sill that clears render. The Walls seem very thick and I think that's why the brick sill has been used. It looks like the window is mounted a little far back. The new window should be mounted level with the external brick work.

Are you sure :confused:

If you remove the tiles and lower the window then you'll have to lower the inside to, that will involve ripping the windowboard out, removing bricks or blocks and all that will need to be made good, seems rather a lot for an extra 4" IMO.

Personally id leave the tiled cill well alone and i'd use an 85mm stub cill.

And as for the window being set too far back and it needs to be flush with the brickwork then i've never heard so much rubbish, how do you propose to seal the window then or how would you finish the render.

As a general rule the inside face of the window should be flush with the inside face of the outer skin of brick

Didnt say flush with front of brick work now did I??

I also said "consider" removing the brick sill. Obviously this has pros and cons!!

Sorry if my advice was rubbish.

Cheers

It looks like the window is mounted a little far back. The new window should be mounted level with the external brick work. Then plasterwork Should be made good upto new window position.

Well what do expect us to think when you say the above :rolleyes:

okay, so i'm liking the idea of keeping the concrete sill and going with a small stub sill for neatness as making good the inside would be extra work i could do without! Just realised though that the sizes aren't as handy as i thought - width is fine at 1200 but the height of the old window appears to be about 1070 which is annoying! Is a 20mm or so gap okay to pack out and then seal?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back